Militarism and waste are destroying America’s future

To the Daily:

The jingoes, hawks, corporate predators, arms merchants and every variety of benighted fool are selling America down the oily, capitalist, military rat hole. The cheerleaders for the Bush crime family are wasting and destroying our country, our reputation, our wealth and our future. We are creating and motivating a new generation of adversaries and terrorists, outraged – as they should be – by our country’s arrogance, greed and militarism in the Mideast and around the world. Outraged – as they should be – that one-third of our foreign aid goes to Israel, a country condemned over and over again by the U.N. Security Council for racism and its illegal occupation of Palestine. Outraged – as they should be – that the most wasteful and gluttonous country in the world is also one of the only countries to reject the Kyoto agreements.

When we should be moving with great haste to develop and build clean, safe renewable energy technology and put in place a serious conservation program to reduce the amount of cancerous filth and greenhouse gasses we produce, we are doing the opposite. We are doing the worst things possible by mass-producing obscenely inefficient and obsolete internal combustion engines and a war machine, mass-selling unnecessary junk and swill and carrying on with an unnecessary, illegal war with no end in sight. Our wantonly wasteful use of oil is poisoning our diminishing, breathable air and driving up fuel costs around the world.

Former President Eisenhower said it best: “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.”

And at this time in our history it is a theft of our security, our future and our dreams. It is a theft from all; rich and poor, young and old, born, unborn and reborn.

God help us and guide us from this path of death, decay and destruction. Lead us to the path of life, love and enlightenment.

Don Johnson

Alum