Diversity in sexuality should be applauded, not condemned

To the Daily:

In response to Joel Hoard’s column (How the homosexuals stole my son’s innocence, 02/24/2005), I am shocked and ashamed that you are a student at one of my alma maters. As a native New Yorker who grew up in Queens, I have seen my fair share of undesirable activity, but most of it comes from people who visit New York just to criticize it. New York is culturally diverse, and that’s how we like it. New York provides an amazing opportunity for all that visit and live there to experience the real world and not the world that many of us try to keep ourselves in. I met my first black friend in preschool. I met my first homosexual friend in junior high school when my best friend came out to me. It’s good that your children were able to experience the diversity of New York. Diversity and understanding of different cultures is how we can work with other countries, cultures and groups.

I hate to see what would have happened if you made a wrong turn and walked into a bad area of New York. You would have seen a lot worse: homelessness, drug use, gambling and possibly even a shooting. Maybe a map would be good next time you go somewhere, so you don’t walk into a situation you don’t want to be in.

I’m not going to go through the Bible and report back the sheer number of scriptures that Christians have chosen not to enforce over the years. However, I am going to say that while your religious beliefs may dictate to you that you must pray for homosexuals to be forgiven, it does not entitle you to judge them. “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her” (John 8:7).

You have the right to raise your children as you see fit, that is one of the greatest rights of this country. You, however, have no right to tell the rest of us how to raise our children or what activities we can engage in. It is your belief that homosexuals are sinners, that is your belief. I do not force my beliefs on you. Liberals and conservatives do not (unless they’re in public office). Additionally, to deny anyone the rights and benefits that come with marriage (which is no longer a religious institution once the government got involved) is completely wrong. Stay out of my bedroom and do not judge what I do, and I’ll stay out of yours.

Gregory J. Wright

Alum