How many people have heard about the recession of 1981-82? Very few, because although we had higher unemployment and inflation than we have now, the government did not try to stimulate the country out of it and the recession quickly abated. Keep this in mind when considering my objection to yesterday’s column by Matthew Green (A Stimulating Solution, 02/04/09).

Green seems to imply that a completely borrowed $900 billion worth of constituent appeasement and expansion of entitlements is the solution to cover up politicians’ mistakes. Out of the $900 billion to be spent, less than 10 percent can be considered stimulus (tax cuts and infrastructure spending). The remaining 90 percent of this money is the most extensive enlargement of entitlement programs and pork in the history of this nation. President Obama promises four million new jobs with this package — that totals to an absurd $225,000 each.

Green argues that this waste of money should be considered a “middle ground” between Republicans and Democrats. There is no middle ground between being right or wrong. The government never creates anything, it can only redistribute while money leaks out of every transaction. Whenever the government “creates” jobs, we get things like the Transportation Security Administration, hardly a shining beacon of efficiency.

The most amusing line by Green is when he describes the failure of the previous stimulus package that was passed in the beginning of 2008. Apparently learning from mistakes and not repeating them is not an option when considering taxpayer money. Government is not the solution to our economic problems — government is what causes problems. Just as in the Great Depression, once the government stopped trying to control the economy, recovery came quickly. Let us hope that future generations do not bear the burden of the fiscal stupidity of the previous generations.

Sam van Kleef
LSA freshman

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.