The Lecturers’ Employee Organization ratified their labor contract with the University Thursday after creating a tentative contract earlier this month.

LEO — a union representing 1,500 lecturers across the University’s Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn campuses — voted 93.5 percent in favor of the contract, which includes increased wages over the next five years and bolstered job security.

While lecturers from the Flint and Dearborn campuses will receive the same wages as faculty on the tenure track, lecturers on the Ann Arbor campus will face a more gradual increase in wages, starting at a zero-percent increase the first year of the contract and ending at a 2.75-percent increase in the fifth year.

Earlier this month, University spokesman Rick Fitzgerald said the University and LEO reached a fair contract for employees and the University as a whole.

Bonnie Halloran, LEO president, said that the agreement for the Ann Arbor campus was more difficult to reach than for the Flint and Dearborn campuses. Halloran said the University worked conservatively with its budget due to the impacts of sequestration, declining state appropriation and a focus on tuition affordability.

Although lecturers’ salaries will increase, they remain the lowest-paid University faculty members, with annual salaries of $33,300, $27,300 and $26,300 at the Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses, respectively. The contract will add an average of $1,100 to lecturers’ starting salaries beginning in the fourth year of the agreement.

Despite the increases in salary, Halloran said LEO will continue to advocate increases in lecturer’s salaries in the future.

“No one with a master’s degree or a Ph.D. should be starting with a salary as low as that,” Halloran said. “People can’t believe the salaries are that low, so we’re really going to work hard to improve that.”

Earlier this month, LEO spokeswoman Lila Naydan said the current contract does not allow University lecturers to reach equitable pay structure — equal pay for the teaching portion of their work in comparison to tenured faculty and faculty on the tenure track. She added that LEO hopes to achieve this in the future.

Michigan’s so-called right-to-work law — which makes it illegal to require financial support of a union as a condition of employment — goes into effect on March 25 after a lame-duck session of the Michigan legislature at the end of 2012. Since the new contract was ratified Thursday, LEO and the University can still work under the contents of the agreement.

While Halloran said there was “tension” between LEO and the University during negotiations, she said the fact that lecturers from all three campuses voted with at least 90 percent in favor of the contract shows its success.

She added that while the voting process for ratification only requires at least two campuses to approve, all three campuses voted in favor of the contract.

“We worked hard and we feel that we wrote the best contract we could for the members,” Halloran said.