More than a year after the Lecturers’ Employee Organization approved a contract with the University that would provide lecturers with increased pay and benefits, LEO argues it are still not receiving the full benefits of the agreement. To voice these concerns, about 15 LEO members handed out leaflets outside the second floor ballroom in Haven Hall during the LSA all-faculty reception, to remind the University community of their grievances.”There were a lot of people who wouldn’t have had a clue to what’s been going on with the contract if we weren’t there,” said LEO Co-Chair Ian Robinson.While the University continues to work toward fully implementing the contract by Sept. 30, LEO contends two major roadblocks remain – a delay in lecturer payments and misclassification of 30 lecturers. According to the June 2004 contract, lecturers can be classified under four categories with each category determining the duties and benefits of the lecturer. A faculty member grouped into a Lecturer I or Lecturer II category would be allowed only to teach classes. Faculty classified as Lecturer III or Lecturer IV would also be expected to perform advising and administrative duties. LEO Co-Chair Ian Robinson said 30 lecturers are currently misclassified as Lecturer IIs because they also perform advising and administrative functions for the University. Robinson added that this would mean the lecturers would see a pay increase of 5 percent rather than the 7 percent given to faculty grouped into the Lecturer III category. Elizabeth Axelson, a lecturer in the University’s English Language Institute said the misclassification has also meant these lecturers would be restricted from advising students. Axelson, who is classified as a Lecturer III and participated with LEO in handing out leaflets on Friday, said currently six lecturers in the ELI are misclassified as Lecturer IIs. She questions why the University misclassified her colleagues, when she performs the same duties as they do.”It’s quite troubling and divisive. We have all been doing the same kind of work,” Axelson said.The other reason LEO is still not content with the University is that 100 faculty members grouped into the Lecturer III category have been told that they will not see their increase in pay for another 18 months, Robinson said. University spokeswoman Julie Peterson said the provost’s office and the University’s different departments continue to work to resolve all issues with the contract before the Sept. 30 deadline. “Over the summer we met with them every week to work out issues with the contract,” Peterson said. Peterson added that University officials would need to closely look over the misclassification of the 30 lecturers before they can make a decision. Robinson said if the University does not meet the Sept. 30 deadline, LEO will convene with its members to decide on what future actions it wishes to take. But he added that if the University does resolve the issues with the delays in payments and the misclassification of lecturers, LEO may finally agree that the University has begun to fully implement their contract.