“I didn’t have time.” Everybody has used this excuse before, and many people have used it for one thing in particular — voting. “I didn’t have time” is the single most cited reason for avoiding the voting booths on Election Day. And it’s obvious why — finding time to vote in between work, school and errands on a Tuesday in November can seem tough (although it should never be an excuse). A national holiday on Election Day could help change this. But until then, it’s still everyone’s responsibility to vote tomorrow.

The United States has a voter turnout problem. In the 2004 presidential election, just more than 55 percent of the voting-age population actually voted. Those turnout percentages are even worse among low-income Americans and students. Probably most embarrassing of all, the United States has one of the lowest voter participation rates among developed democracies.

Recognizing that people’s lives are busy is one of the reasons why some states have already begun to enact “Time Off to Vote” laws. Seven states mandate time off for employees to vote, and 22 others take the extra step of guaranteeing that employees receive paid time off. But the rest of the states — Michigan included — have no laws to protect employees who need to leave work to vote. Voters who work multiple shifts or have class all day are provided little leeway in the strict 7 am to 8 pm block of time set up at polling stations.

So it should come as no surprise that the demographics with the lowest voter turnout are low-income and young voters. These groups don’t want to skip their classes or jobs, even if it means neglecting their civic duty.

Among other election reform, a national election holiday would solve this dilemma by removing the barriers that keep some people away from the booths. It would also encourage more people to volunteer at polling stations so they run more smoothly. Lastly, national holiday status would raise awareness of the importance of voting as an American responsibility, sending the message that voting is a necessary act rather than an optional task competing for time in a busy weekday schedule.

All that said, regardless of whether Election Day is a national holiday, everyone still has an obligation to vote tomorrow. And, yes, that is still an obligation even when there is bad weather, long lines at the polls and other things going on. It’s even an obligation when you don’t think your vote will matter. In other words, there are no good excuses for not voting tomorrow.

Employers and professors also have an obligation to make voting as easy and convenient as possible. Expecting poor class attendance as some in-state students travel home to vote and others volunteer in get-out-the vote efforts, professors should be lenient about absence for just this one day. They should also tailor their lesson plans to accommodate those who are gone.

Even though it’s not an official holiday tomorrow, get out and vote. Then celebrate for the hell of it.