EAST LANSING If the Michigan men”s tennis team was looking to end the fall season on a good note, it certainly wasn”t disappointed this weekend at the Big Ten Single”s Championships in East Lansing. Not only did senior Henry Beam and freshman Matt Lockin put up strong individual performances, but the team also exhibited depth and talent.

“Coach Mark Mees and I were very pleased with the overall results this weekend,” Michigan assistant coach Dan Goldberg said. “This tournament gives players that during the season may be playing in the lower part of a lineup an opportunity to match up against No. 1 and No. 2 players from other teams.”

The Wolverines opened up first round play Saturday morning with three of six players advancing. In the first round of the double elimination tournament, Greg Novak, Chris Shaya and Ben Cox all bowed out. Cox, the No. 11 seed, was upset by Northwestern”s Ryan Edlefsen, and later withdrew from the back draw because of nagging arm problems.

But two of his teammates defeated top-notch players at the tournament. Anthony Jackson knocked off No. 8 Adrian Bohane of Ohio State and Matt Lockin defeated No. 4 Jackie Jenkins to start the day. No. 3 Beam also advanced, easily handling Iowa”s Matis Jasicek, 6-3, 6-2.

In the second round, Jackson fell to Thomas Hanus of Northwestern, 6-2, 7-5.

“He played a better match, he had the right game plan and I don”t know if I was aggressive enough,” Jackson said.

Beam faced Michigan State”s Jimmy McGuire and battled through a tough first set before cruising to a win, 7-6 (3), 6-2. Lockin also was victorious in the second round, defeating Purdue”s Lait Al-Agba, 6-4, 6-4.

Yesterday, Beam and Lockin continued to advance. Beam defeated Josh Axler of Northwestern in the morning, then faced Minnesota freshman Avery Ticer in the quarterfinals later that day. After dropping the first set 4-6, Beam tried to regain control of his service game but ended up bowing out, losing the second set 4-6.

“I just had a lot of problems putting my serve in the court today,” Beam said. “The other guy was a pretty good player and he took advantage of that. I thought I had a real good chance to win it, but I didn”t put myself in that position and I didn”t play well enough today.”

Lockin put away his first match of the day against Minnesota”s Manuel Lievano, battling back from a one set deficit early in the match to advance to the quarterfinals. Lockin lost the first set against Jamal Parker of Illinois in a tie breaker, but seemed to regain control in the second, taking a 4-1 lead and going on to win the set 7-5. The final set was hard fought and the score remained close throughout. The match ended in a heartbreaking loss for Lockin when Parker won the final tiebreaker point on a let serve.

Despite this bittersweet end to the tournament, the team still showcased a considerable amount of depth and skill against the Big Ten”s top singles players.

“We had two players in the quarterfinals which is obviously a really good effort,” Goldberg said. “Matt had a number of good wins here. Anthony beat the No. 8 seed in the first round, which was a confidence booster. I think we can take a lot of positives out of this event.”

The Wolverines hope to use their impressive showing at this final fall tournament as a momentum builder as they look toward the spring season, which starts in January.

“We”ll still be conditioning, doing individual work outs and players will be hitting on their own,” Goldberg said. “This is really a very critical time because I think we want to sustain the momentum that we had at this event and also at the Rolex Regionals. We want to sustain that momentum through the remainder of the fall and right through exams so that in January in the team matches everyone feels like they are at the top of their games.”

In January, the team will face a tough Big Ten conference schedule. Minnesota and Illinois whose players were responsible for knocking out Beam and Lockin showed incredible depth this weekend. Minnesota sent five of six players into the quarterfinals yesterday and is sure to be a favored contender for the Big Ten title in the spring. Ohio State and Northwestern should also be strong this year. But Beam doesn”t think Michigan should be counted out just yet. The senior was impressed with his own team”s results this weekend and is of the opinion that Michigan has a chance to contend for the title.

“Everyone on our team had pretty good results,” Beam said. “We”ll be good this year.”