The Lecturers’ Employee Organization has spent more than a year working toward the full implementation of its contract, signed in June of last year, and hopes that today it will see some of its work rewarded.

LEO awaits the University’s response to about 20 cases of what they believe to be misclassified lecturer titles. According to the contract, lecturers can be classified in four different groups, depending on the amount of time they have spent in a given department. The classification system would also determine what job duties a lecturer would be expected to perform. Lecturers classified as I and II would only be allowed to teach classes, while lecturer IIIs and IVs would be expected to perform administrative and advising duties.

LEO feels that about 20 cases have been misclassified because the individuals have been providing the University with administrative and advising services even though it is not in their job descriptions and that these lecturers should be given the appropriate classification based on the duties that they have performed.

LEO co-chair Kirsten Herold said she expects the University will approve some of the cases that are still in contention, but provisions have been made for those who continue to feel misclassified.

LEO will contact those individuals and see if they want to participate in a group grievance that would be filed with the individual school and provost’s office, Herold said.

She also said that, if the process is not resolved at the University level, the grievance could go into arbitration with an independent third party.

Earlier this month, LEO members handed out leaflets at an LSA faculty reception to remind the University community of the problems they were still facing. Besides the misclassifcation problems, LEO has complained about a delay in pay increases that this semester there has been an 18-month delay of wage increases for lecturers III and IVs who successfully completed performance reviews and qualified for them.

About 30 to 40 lecturers in LSA are not receiving the wage increases that they are entitled to and in a meeting on Wednesday the University claimed that the LSA review process has always contained a delay in receiving pay increases but has always been effective, Herold said.

University spokeswoman Julie Peterson said this was the first paycheck for LEO members that should contain the pay increase and that the timing of the paychecks with the increase had changed from what lecturers were used to.

LEO has suggested that lecturers who have successfully completed reviews in winter 2004 receive their pay increases retroactively, for the months of September and October, in November rather than having to wait until fall 2006. The LSA administration will look at the proposal and work with LEO before the issue is resolved.

She also said LEO would be holding a membership meeting on Oct. 11 to inform the membership of its progress and determine what to do about the administration’s response to the misclassification cases and the delay in payments.