For coaches of top ranked teams, there is no greater fear than the lack of motivation of one”s team. That inner demon allows for upsets and strikes when teams least expect it.

The Michigan men”s lacrosse team fell victim to those same demons earlier this week. After grabbing the No. 1 ranking in the USLIA at the end of the regular season, the Wolverines were upset by No. 9 California-Santa Barbara 7-6 in the quarterfinals of the 16-team tournament.

“For whatever reason, we have been a little flat since our big win against BYU a few weeks ago,” coach John Paul said. “We haven”t been able to recapture that energy and haven”t been able to put together a 60 minute game.”

Santa Barbara jumped out to an early two-goal lead while holding Michigan scoreless until late in the second quarter with a defensive offense and Michigan”s poor early shooting.

Michigan got back on track with a goal by Kevin Chan at 3:44 in the second quarter. Michigan then followed up with two goals in less than two minutes to tie the game 3-3.

“After we scored those goals we went back to that mentality of we”re the better team we should win this,” senior defender Greg Deutch said.

After falling behind in the third quarter, Santa Barbara scored two goals to give them the lead. Michigan had one more chance to tie the game, but Santa Barbara won a groundball and cleared the ball to hold on to the victory.

Michigan bounced back from the loss with wins over Sonoma State and California in the consolation round to finish fifth overall in the tournament.