Amidst a weekend of multicultural events, Latino students ushered in Spring with their well-received second annual cultural show Friday.

LAUREN BRAUN/Daily
Children of the Asociacion Latina Alacanzando Suenos, an organization which supports the local Latino community, are interviewed by emcee Michael Esoinza.

“This year’s show is called ‘Presencia Latina.’ It’s all about us trying to make a presence for ourselves on campus,” LSA junior and show co-coordinator Celso Cardenas said.

“I was kind of nervous but I was really happy with the turnout,” Cardenas said, who was initially concerned about competing events, some held concurrent to the show.

This year’s show was held in the Power Center to accommodate a larger crowd. “It’s a big step up from last year because last year we were at the Union (Pendleton Room),” said LSA sophomore Myrna Vaca, one of the show’s emcees.

“I’m very excited to see a lot of non-Latinos coming out to support us,” she said. “I think everyone had a wonderful time.”

The show featured both new and returning acts from last year’s show. Among the returning acts was singer and LSA sophomore Vanessa Sanchez, who sang two Spanish songs.

Other acts included performances of original songs, skits in English and Spanish about modern issues such as homosexuality, and a performance by students from the Association of Latinos Achieving their Goals, a program for the children of migrant workers in Washtenaw County and the beneficiary of proceeds from the show.

Cardenas said he was happy about the large turnout from the local Ann Arbor community, many of whom are migrant workers, in addition to University students. “For them to see something like this is that much more powerful for them,” he said.

According to Cardenas, the show’s goals are to unite the Latino community and showcase Latino culture.