Experience the thrill of virtual reality, the excitement of high definition video art and the challenge of interactive games. Entity, the Ann Arbor electronic artist coalition, is hosting the largest annual juried exhibition of new electronic and digital art in the Midwest, right here on campus.

This interdisciplinary art extravaganza, which includes submissions from around the United States and abroad, will open tonight at the Media Union and be held through Sunday, February 18th. Tonight”s opening reception will kick off at 7 p.m. and last until midnight. The reception will come complete with food, exceptional live music performances and esteemed guest lecturers. Jaron Lenier, the man responsible for coining the term “Virtual Reality,” will speak just prior to the reception at 5:30 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public.

This year”s theme is a unique merging of the technology of the digital revolution of the new millennium, with the technology of the industrial revolution that emerged with the last turn-of-the-century (1901).

“Immedia: 1901” is guaranteed to be Entity”s largest and most diverse multimedia exhibition yet. Undoubtedly, the electronic aesthetics will appeal to those unfamiliar with the genre and art lovers alike.

This year”s mission will be to challenge the conventional standards of the electronic medium, and to encourage artists to reach beyond the constraints of the quickly expanding genre. The category electronic will include analog, digital, electric and mechanical mediums. The exhibition gives unparalleled attention to technology, which is central to the theme of the showcase. Indeed, Entity seeks to gain new perspectives on the dynamic interaction between art, science and engineering.

Live performances and lectures will also be broadcasted via live streaming video on Immedia: 1901″s website (http://entity.umich.edu/immedia1901/) and will be available to be downloaded from the group”s online archives.

Entity originally began their electronic and digital presentations in 1995 with the goal of developing a multimedia concentration at the University. Because the campus-wide response was quite successful, Entity now readily seeks to promote new media on a national and international level. “Immedia 1901” is the university”s opportunity to prove their continued commitment to leadership in new art forms.