With the match locked at 3-3, Michigan women’s tennis team captain, junior Whitney Taney, was left on the court facing Baylor University’s No. 91 Taylor Ormand.

After rallying in the second frame, Taney sent the match to a third set where she eventually won the fourth and final point for the Wolverines.

“Every single match we’re going to fight, which is what you saw today,” Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein said.

Michigan (8-3) endured a four-hour match Friday night against the Bears and secured its first ever victory over a top-five opponent.

“Beating Baylor at home Friday before spring break just brings great momentum,” Taney said.

Besides Taney’s victory over Ormand in No. 5 singles, the Wolverines picked up singles points at No. 4 and No. 6 along with the doubles point.

Freshman Mimi Nguyen and sophomore Michelle Sulahian each picked up two wins tonight, first as No. 2 doubles and then at singles. Sulahian defeated Karolina Filipiak 7-5, 6-3 and Nguyen defeated No. 105 Jelena Stanivuk.

“Baylor is a really good team,” said Nguyen. “Beating this team gives us so much confidence. It will show us that if we believe in ourselves we can beat any team.”

The other Michigan doubles win came from senior Tania Mahtani and junior Denise Muresan, winning their second match in a row at No. 3 (8-6) over Baylor’s Nina Secerbegovic and Ormand.

This is the second consecutive match where the Wolverines finished with a win by taking the points at doubles and No. 4, 5 and 6 singles.

“We take it one match at a time,” said Bernstein. “Next Wednesday when we play Loyola Marymount, we’re not going to look past anything.”

This was Michigan’s last home match for a while , as its entire schedule for the month of March has it on the road. The Wolverines first stop is the west coast, where they will face Loyola Marymount on Wednesday, March 3 and No. 37 Pepperdine next Friday, March 5.