zc9491ux

Everything in the box score indicated a loss for Michigan.

Angela Cesere
Junior Melissa Dobbyn earned Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after a big weekend. (AARON SWICK/Daily)

The Wolverines were drastically outshot and generally outplayed by Oklahoma State throughout the second half.

But it was just one of those days for the Wolverines (2-0-2). They somehow scrapped their way to a 1-1 draw and ended the Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge in Stillwater, Okla. with a 1-0-1 record, despite a less-than-stellar performance.

Michigan pulled a rabbit out of its hat, scoring with just 1:12 remaining in regulation. Junior Melissa Dobbyn fielded a long pass from senior Judy Coffman and converted one of the Wolverines’ few scoring chances.

“We were pressing in the second (half), and then they got the momentum back and scored their goal,” Michigan coach Debbie Rademacher said through the athletic department. “We had just two good opportunities (all game). They are a strong team and have a couple of real good players. We hung tough and earned the late chance. It was just a hard-fought game.”

Michigan seemed to be in trouble late in the game.

With the score deadlocked at zero in the 80th minute of regulation, Oklahoma State forward Jesyca Rosholt gathered a pass at the top of the 18-yard box and buried a shot to give the Cowgirls a one-goal lead.

Up to that point, the stellar play of senior goalie Megan Tuura kept the Wolverines in the game. She made nine total saves, including two in the overtime periods. The goal by Rosholt was the first tally allowed by Tuura and the Michigan defense this season. But the late goal wasn’t late enough for Oklahoma State.

“We were under a lot of pressure,” Rademacher said. “Judy (Coffman) dribbled out and served the long ball because we didn’t have much time. We needed to pressure and dump something in there. She served Melissa (Dobbyn) over the top running at their backline. It was a wonderful combination.”

The Wolverines couldn’t use the momentum from the end of regulation to their advantage in the two overtime sessions. Michigan failed to muster a shot, but was literally saved by Tuura, who moved up to second on the all-time saves list in Michigan history. She now trails Carissa Miller by 63 saves.

Sunday’s draw followed the Wolverines’ 2-0 win over Oklahoma Friday night. The successful weekend leaves Michigan undefeated heading into their fifth game of the season at Dayton on Friday.