The Michigan women’s track and field team wasn’t built for conference success this season.

While it had some of the top individual talent in the country, Michigan head coach James Henry’s squad lacked the depth to take top honors at the Big Ten Championships.

The Wolverines finished in second place at the Big Ten Indoor Championships this weekend at the Minnesota Fieldhouse in Minneapolis, eight points behind host Minnesota.

“It’s just that there were more bodies the other team had and we ran out of depth,” Henry said.

Five Wolverines accounted for 86 of the team’s 128 points, and Michigan had multiple scorers in just five events.

On an individual basis, Michigan logged some of the best performances of the championship by capturing five individual titles and a relay.

“We are very good at the top, and our people at the top performed at that level,” Henry said. “They did what was expected. There wasn’t much more they could have done.”

Junior Geena Gall, senior Nicole Edwards and junior Tiffany Ofili won the 800-meter run, mile run and 60-meter hurdles, each for the second straight year.

Ofili paced the Wolverines in the sprints with a title in the hurdles and second in the 60- meter dash. She also captured the long jump title.

Gall, who set a meet record time of 2:05.99 in the 800-meter run, also contributed to the championship-winning distance medley relay. Redshirt junior Alyson Kohlmeier, senior Serita Williams and freshman Danielle Tauro joined Gall for the relay.

Michigan’s other individual title came from junior Bettie Wade in the high jump.

In two weeks, these top athletes will head to the NCAA Indoor Championships. And with that group, Henry feels his team is better suited to top Minnesota in that event.

“It should be a different story at the national level,” Henry said.