10:20 p.m. Damn. The venue is empty. It was like this last time I came to a Komposit party, and I didn”t bother going in. As I exit the world for the first time, I walk into a virtually empty Blind Pig where I see DJs warming up, bartenders setting up and bystanders chilling. What the hell? Why is that black cat with a cowboy hat out dancing by himself? The emptiness immediately turns me off, but I was already hip to the deal with Komposit parties. See, they don”t get jumping until around 11:30 anyway. So I swallow some pride, and go searching for the man of the evening.

The cast of “”Games in the Backyard”” explore a controversial subject.<br><br>Courtesy of Haifa Theatre

Enter Nihar Kulkarni, President and co-founder of Komposit, and my guide through the fantastic voyage that is the night to come. Before he can even get in many words edgewise, a group of lovely young ladies approaches the door, and Nihar has to divert his attention for the first time that evening to cater to his guests, but not without me getting in a word. Hello. How are you ladies doing this evening? He then takes me back inside to meet the rest of the Komposit crew who sit on the sidelines in anticipation of something that I only picked up on through hearsay. Hey, wzup? How you doin? Hi. I”m Dustin, nice to meet you. Immediately, I get nothing but love from a group of multi-ethnic strangers who I never met before in my life. You see, I had the initial impression that Komposit was a strictly Indian-based organization, and for the first time I saw that the diversity that the group stands for is also represented in it”s membership. After fronting me a sweatshirt, Nihar gracefully excuses himself to matters at the door, and leaves me to rap a taste with the evening”s Emcee, Raw Dog.

11:15 p.m. Oh my damn! I have never seen so many beautiful honeys at this University in one place at the same time! Shortly after 11, the venue is on bump. My speculations have been confirmed, and it”s officially a full-blown party. Hey, I know old girl! Lemmee go get my swerve on! The best part about it is that there is actually some good shit coming from those speakers. Hip-hop and R & B to the tune of old-school and new-school, along with a bit of reggae thrown in for good measure. Toronto”s finest, DJ Ritz and DJ Sin, held down the wheels the entire evening, and much like a high-priced Hollywood call girl, never left the masses disappointed. Is that my dog Kwame kickin” it? Whatup son?

12:00 a.m. Oh shit, where are my keys?!? Whew, there they go. I had to exit the world for just a moment to make sure that some sucker with a tow truck did not feel the need to tow my car away, only to come back and find close to a hundred people trying to squeeze their way into the Pig. Yo, I had no idea that Komposit was on it like that! Sam Eliad, one of the Komposit originators, is doing the best he can to hold the door down without getting sandwiched between it and the crowd. I finally get back in, only to see the crowd high-powered at it”s peak. Method Man just came on, and the Pig is so hot right now, folks start to regret that “dress to impress” stipulation for sake of heat exhaustion. You think this put a damper on things? Hell no. Freaks dominate the sweat-drenched floor, and shit is liver now then it has been all evening. Is that my mans Keith and Erroll? Lemmee go holler.

12:45 a.m. Nihar is a very gracious host for the evening”s proceedings. Any man keeping at least one eye on hundreds of hormone-driven college students hailing from as far away as Michigan State may find himself losing composure with the quickness. Yet he strikes me as very calm and collected, still managing to cater to the desires of those who request his services, and at the same time enjoying the party himself. As we stand together in a remote corner of the Pig, he lights up a square and stares contemplatively over the diverse crowd, as a ruler would his own kingdom, and says calmly, “I do it for this. I was never in it for the money. I only do it for this here.” Komposit is the only organization that I have ever witnessed accomplish such a thing as solid unity and diversity through hip-hop music, and I quickly let him know what a beautiful thing it is that he has to his credit.

2:00 a.m. Party over! The wheels are cooling down, and the afterset rumors are afloat. Damn, boo hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave! But waitaminit there was no fight, no altercation of any kind, nobody getting their asses whipped for spilling a drink on someone”s shoes what”s wrong with this picture? Here I thought that hip-hop in Ann Arbor was supposed to yield violence, so what”s the deal? Nihar gives his personal viewpoint on the lack of drama at Komposit”s events: “Knock on wood, we have never had any major problems in terms of fights at our parties.” And why do you think that is? ” When you get a bunch of people who are alike at a gathering such as this, then everyone has something to prove. But when you have so many different kinds of people congregated together, everyone just wants to have a good time, and it”s all love.” Yeah, I never thought about it like that.

It all started with the “Church on Church” house parties that ruled the campus about four years ago, and the legacy of Komposit shall continue, even following the departure of Nihar and the other senior members at the end of the year. Almost every flavor that you may find on this campus is represented at the party, and that factor alone took my breath away. Any misguided soul with the notion that hip-hop is strictly a cultural based art should make it a point to come on out to the Pig on a Thursday night. This is way that it was always meant to be, and I commend Komposit for being the originators of this thing here. The “bliss” offered to me this evening, though lingering, is over, and its now time for me to re-enter the world. I”m hungry as hell you got five dollars I can borrow?