Republican gubernatorial nominee Dick Posthumus is crying foul over a memo he says demonstrates the extent of the corruption voters can expect from an administration headed by his Democratic opponent.

In a memo obtained by Detroit’s WKBD-TV, Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick demands that in exchange for his support of state Attorney General Jennifer Granholm in the governor’s race, 20 percent of the next governor’s political appointees should be black, and Detroiters should be chosen to head six top state offices – the Michigan State Housing Development Authority, the Michigan Economic Development Corp., the Family Independence Agency, the Office of Financial and Insurance Services and the departments of Corrections and Community Health.

“Based on the policies of the last 12 years, the next administration must address the issues that face the African-American community,” the memo read.

The memo also says that any new state buildings should be constructed in Detroit and more state contracts should be given to “Detroit based, minority owned business.”

But representatives of the Detroit mayor’s office and the Granholm campaign stressed the memo was a draft that was never sent to Granholm and also that no promises were made in exchange for Kilpatrick’s support.

“Granholm is a product of Wayne County’s corrupt government, and she has demonstrated time and again that she will put the special interests of her political friends in Wayne County Government before the needs of Michigan residents,” Posthumus, the lieutenant governor, said in a statement.

This follows allegations from the Posthumus campaign chastising Granholm for approving no-bid contracts at Detroit Metropolitan Airport while serving as corporation counsel to Wayne County Executive Edward McNamara.

“She has called Ed McNamara her ‘political mentor,’ hired the former director of Detroit Metro Airport as her campaign manager, and stood silently by when McNamara gave out sweetheart deals to his cronies: free cars, 5 to 1 in matching 401-k funds, and inflated salaries,” Posthumus said.

“It’s shocking he’s been parading this around the west side of the state,” Kilpatrick spokesman Jamaine Dickens said, accusing Posthumus of practicing “the politics of divisiveness.”

Although the memo, from “KMK” and dated “8-28-02,” refers to the upcoming campaign in future terms, Dickens said plans were that it would be sent after the election should Granholm win.

“We are preparing to run a modern campaign,” the memo says. “This is a commitment that we as leaders from the city of Detroit are making to the democratic ticket. A commitment to us from the future leaders for this state to make good on the promises of inclusion, a government that leaves no one behind and one that is reflective of the state. We expect a strong voice in the appointment process.”