Not much has slowed down Michigan coach Brady Hoke and the Michigan football staff on the recruiting trail this year. And now Hoke’s path may have gotten even easier.

“I believe the Michigan-Ohio border is now open. I think you’re going to see eight or nine guys from the state of Ohio going over to Michigan this year.”

The Wolverines picked up the commitment of standout offensive lineman Kyle Kalis from St. Edward High School in Lakewood, Ohio this weekend — and the buck may not stop there.

According to Kalis, a 6-foot-5, 306-pound tackle who marked Michigan’s 19th commit of the 2012 recruiting class — Hoke’s first true class at Michigan — he may not be the last heavyweight destined for Ann Arbor in the near future.

“He is the type of guy I want to play for,” Kalis told ESPN.com Monday. “(Hoke) has an incredible amount of passion. I believe the Michigan-Ohio border is now open.

“I think you’re going to see eight or nine guys from the state of Ohio going over to Michigan this year.”

Of Michigan’s 19 committed recruits, nine hail from the state of Ohio.

Kalis, now the headliner for the 2012 class that added safety Jarrod Wilson last week, is ranked by Scout as the No. 21 overall player in the nation, while Rivals pegs him at No. 18.

And the addition of Kalis is special for the Wolverines, as the lineman is the first defector from Ohio State’s 2012 recruiting class.

Kalis committed to former Buckeye coach Jim Tressel last September. After Tressel was forced out in late May, interim coach Luke Fickell convinced Kalis to maintain his commitment to Ohio State.

But Kalis continued visiting schools, including Michigan, and when on a visit with his family to Ann Arbor this last weekend, Kalis stood on the ‘M’ at Michigan Stadium and gave Hoke a call that the young coach won’t forget.

Kalis has claimed his allegiance to Ohio State throughout the entire recruiting proess, but he said that this is the best decision for him personally.

“When I de-committed to (Ohio State coach) Luke Fickell I called him and told him and he understood where I’m coming from,” Kalis told ESPN.com. “With the turmoil and uncertainty I just couldn’t.”

Just like that, one of the most highly touted recruits in the nation became a future Wolverine.

“I can’t go (to Ohio State) and take penalties for something I never did,” Kalis told ESPN.com. “Ohio State is a great program. I’m just not sure how long it will take them to recover. I want a solid, grounded coaching staff with a safe environment. Where there aren’t such tough questions.”

He’s never stepped on the field as head coach of the Michigan Wolverines, but Brady Hoke just won his first clash with Ohio State.