“I’ve been dreaming all day about having you all to myself for three days…relaxing, laughing, talking, sleeping and making love.”

Brian Merlos
Brian Merlos

Quotes of the week

Kwame Kilpatrick, mayor of Detroit, in a text message to his chief of staff, Christine Beatty. They both denied any relationship when asked about it under oath last summer.

“If I had the chance, I would have spit in his face”

Tommaso Barbato, an Italian senator, on one of his colleagues, who changed his mind and decided to support former Prime Minister Romano Prodi in a no-confidence vote. Prodi lost the vote and resigned his post last week.

“The power of spirits inside his body is keeping him alive. Suharto’s life is supported by a mystical power.”

Darsono, an Indonesian spiritualist with alleged magical powers, on former Indonesian President Suharto’s survival after his kidneys, heart and lungs failed two weeks ago. Suharto died on Sunday.

YouTube video of the week

A Guitar Hero prodigy

Ben is 9 years old.

He has many blessings: a winning smile, encouraging parents, a nice widescreen TV and 10 of the fastest fingers on the planet.

Despite his age, Ben happens to be one of the best Guitar Hero 3 players in the world.

Yes, it’s a video game. Rocking out on a guitar-shaped hunk of plastic is nothing like playing a real guitar.

But Ben plays the hardest song in the game (“Through the Fire and Flames” by the British “power metal” band DragonForce) at the highest difficulty setting and hits 95 percent of the notes.

When he finishes the song, Ben looks back at the camera, grins widely and forks his fingers in a metal salute. He soon discovers that his Xbox 360 has awarded him game points in honor of his accomplishment.

“I got an achievement!” Ben yells, pumping his arms in the air.

Maybe it’s only video games – maybe he’d be better off playing soccer in the backyard.

But Ben knows the value of achievement. If only we all did.

Gabe Nelson

See this and other YouTube videos of the week at youtube.com/user/michigandaily

Theme party Suggestion

Downloading blitz

In 2005, the Motion Picture Association of America blamed college kids for illegal downloading that cost the industry about $18 billion a year. Well, last week the group admitted that it overestimated by nearly 300 percent. Since you’ve already been faulted, why not begin a downloading frenzy. And don’t feel guilty: your illegal downloading will make the MPAA look more competent.

Throwing this party? Let us know. TheStatement@umich.edu

Study of the week

Bush administration makes 935 false claims on Iraq

President Bush and his top advisers made 935 erroneous claims about the security threat that Iraq posed in the two years after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, according to a study released by the Center for Public Integrity and the Fund for Independence in Journalism.

The study was conducted using a database of official government transcripts, speeches and quotes from media organizations.

Bush made 232 false statements about Iraq and the existence of weapons of mass destruction, the study found. He also made 28 false claims about alleged connections between Al Qaeda and Iraq.

According to the study, former Secretary of State Colin Powell ranked second for most number of erroneous statements. He made 244 false claims about WMDs and 10 about links between Al Qaeda and Iraq.

The study also chided some media groups for failing to determine whether or not the Bush administration’s claims were true.

-Brian Tengel

Talking points

Three things you can talk about this week:

1. Indecent exposure in the residence halls

2. Falling U.S. spy satellites

3. The Rafah border crossing

And three things you can’t:

1. How you almost graduated at EMU

2. The price of Super Bowl tickets

3. Miss Michigan

By the numbers

17 million: Americans who visited a strip club in 1991

67 million: Visits to strip clubs in 1991

10 million: More visits to strip clubs than major league baseball games in 1991

Source: National Health and Social Life Survey