Talking points

Three things you can talk about this week:

1. Hollywood finally finding Jesus
2. Scooter Libby
3. North Korea

And three things you can’t:

1. Ann Coulter
2. Your Spring Break sunburn
3. The Oscars

By the numbers

388 – Years after the first slaves arrived in the Virginia Colony, the state’s legislature adopted a resolution formally apologizing for its role in perpetuating race slavery for two-and-a-half centuries.

4 – The number of slaves owned by Sen. Barack Obama’s maternal ancestors. Obama, who is vying to become America’s first black president, is the son of a black Kenyan father and a white mother from Kansas.

1 – Number of Civil Rights leader Al Sharpton’s ancestors who were owned as slaves by the ancestors of former Sen. Strom Thurmond, who ran for president as a segregationist.

Quotes of the week

“It turns out you have to go into rehab if you use the word ‘faggot,’ so I’m kind of at an impasse – I can’t really talk about Edwards.” – Ann coulter, conservative author and University Law School alum, throwing a jab at presidential hopeful John Edwards. The remark triggered widespread outcry and earned little support even from her right-wing counterparts.

“(The Iraq War) goes even beyond the brutality of slavery and the lynchings.” – Charles Rangel, a U.S. representative from New York, on the relative horrors of the war and slavery.

“If (Britney) is reading my book. I hope it’s helping her. If it’s not, and she wants to talk to someone, I’m available.” – Actress Brooke Shields on the purported fragile mental state of pop star Britney Spears.

YouTube video of the week

Thinking about vegetarianism? You will be.

Warning. This video is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach. At first it’s hard to identify exactly what is happening. It looks like the Loch Ness Monster beached itself in the Amazon, but the truth is much more horrifying.

It is an anaconda regurgitating a hippopotamus.

Watching it, questions might pop into your head. One might be: How did a snake fit a hippo into its mouth? Answer, snakes do not have jaws so they can open their mouths as large as their hearts desire.
Why are they hitting the snake with a paddle? To make it throw up so all the curious locals can discover what animal lies beneath that scaly skin.
And finally: Why am I watching this?
Well, gross, shocking videos are what YouTube is all about.

PETER SCHOTTENFELS

See this and other YouTube
videos of the week at
According to the Wall Street Journal Weekend Edition on 8/4/06, a gimlet (lowercase “g”) consists of the following:
* 2 oz. gin
* 1/4 to 1/2 oz. simple syrup
* 1/2 oz. lime juice (for example, Rose’s)
* Garnish with a lime
The Bartender’s Bible by Gary Regan lists the recipe as:
* 2 oz. gin
* 1/2 ounce Rose’s lime juice
* Garnish with lime wedge
Regan also states, “since the Rose’s product has such a long and impressive history, I am inclined to think that Rose’s was the ingredient that invented the drink.”