This past weekend, Michigan men’s tennis junior Jason Jung was the lone Big Ten player to compete in the ITA National Indoors in West Haven, Conn. While competing against the nation’s best, he advanced to the second round before bowing out to Dimitar Kutrovsky of Texas.

Jung played 67th-seeded Patricio Alvarado from Southern Mississippi in the first round. He had a very auspicious start, winning the first set by a break, 6-3, but then dropped the second set 3-6. Jung persevered with a combination of speed and aggression to take the final set 6-1.

“In the first set I played well, I got the break (off serve) early,” Jung said. “In the second, I had chances, I let it get to me. In the third set, I calmed down, didn’t let it get to me and won the match.”

In the following round, Jung played his third top-10 foe of the season, No. 6 Kutrovsky. Jung had a slow start to the match, losing the first set 2-6. However, he found his game in the second and broke Kutrovsky’s serve. But things went south in a hurry for Jung, as his opponent used his powerful play to reclaim the break and win four of the next five games.

“He is a good player. If you don’t serve well, he can get on top of you,” Jung said. “I had a slow start, and he took advantage.”

The Wolverines are now finished competing until they travel to Florida in January for the Key Biscayne Individuals. The next season looks bright for the team, and especially for Jung.

Jung ended the fall season with a 4-4 record against ranked opponents, and two of those losses were against players in the top 10. He is currently ranked No. 41, which could improve after his successfull fall play. Jung beat No. 10 Saketh Myneni in the ITA All-American Championships and made deep runs into the ITA Regionals.

“Playing three guys from the top 10 is a pretty good experience,” Jung said. “It allows me to see where I’m at. I’m at a good position, but there is still lots of room for improvement.”