Engineering graduate student Jordan Morgan, a fifth-year senior forward, will help launch a new spring fashion line Friday at Merit, a clothing store on South University Avenue.

University alum David Merritt, the store’s owner and a former co-captain of the Michigan basketball team, will introduce the line at an event lasting from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The name of the line, “Work,” is inspired by the equation “work equals force times distance.”

Morgan will sign autographs for the first 200 people in line for the event, as well as for all who purchase the limited-edition Jordan Morgan T-shirt and poster, which are part of the line. Following the event, Merit will host a one-on-one basketball tournament, “Merit Madness,” in the Intramural Sports Building beginning at 11 p.m. The 64 students signed up to play in the tournament will have the opportunity to play against Merritt and Morgan and compete for prizes.

To celebrate Morgan’s accomplishments, the spring line’s opening week will focus on Morgan’s jersey number, 52. Fifty-two T-shirts will be sold, for $52 each, for five days and two hours. Twenty percent of the proceeds will go toward raising college scholarship funds for underprivileged children in Detroit.

Merritt said he specifically chose Morgan to represent the line because of his dedication and persistence. After being redshirted his freshman year, Morgan worked through the disappointment to later earn a spot playing on the team.

This season, Morgan achieved a career high in field-goal percentage (70). Merritt said Morgan is a perfect example of the brand “Work.”

“He’s just a testament of what hard work can do,” Merritt said. “He just has never stopped working and despite what people have said about him, he’s just continued to put in the work and effort to become a better basketball player and student.”

Merit is a cause-based fashion brand devoted to youth and education. The store is partnered with Give Merit, a non-profit organization, and FATE, a non-profit program that is run with 23 high school students in Detroit. Merritt hopes to change the negative stereotype that students in Detroit are prone to dropping out of high school and getting into trouble by creating a scholarship fund and increasing opportunities for students.

“Our premise is that (the stereotype is) not true,” he said. “Our students’ fate actually is in their hands and if you put the work in you will receive the benefits from it.”