BLOOMINGTON – Before Sunday’s game against Indiana, Michigan junior Ashley Jones had played for just 23 minutes.

But in that game, in which Michigan lost 74-65, she more than doubled that mark with 26.

Krista Phillips took an early seat with two fouls. Without their center, the Wolverines repeatedly let the Hoosiers come through the lane, but Jones provided a much-needed body to stop the damage.

“We needed to add some athleticism to our lineup,” Borseth said. “AJ gives us a lot of it.”

Entering eight minutes into the game, the 6-foot-1 forward was able to provide some one-on one pressure on the post.

And while she was called in primarily for defensive purposes, Jones sparked the struggling Michigan offense.

After Indiana stretched its lead to 11, Jones delivered a crisp bounce pass to sophomore Stephany Skrba waiting at the block for an easy two.

It didn’t just happen once, but three times in four trips down the floor.

“I just hit the high post and I just hit the open gap,” Jones said. “And when you hit the open gap, you find a teammate open.”

The baskets were part of an 8-0 run that narrowed the gap to three, but that was the closest the Wolverines could get.

Jones finished with a respectable six points, four assists and no turnovers. But even her highest marks of the year didn’t please her.

“I’d rather just win,” Jones said. “I don’t care about the time. I want to get the W.”

Nothing comes free: The free-throw line had been good to the Wolverines.

Michigan, the 35th-best free throw team in the nation, was shooting .746 from the line. But Sunday, the charity stripe wasn’t so generous – the Wolverines shot a season-low .529. Both teams struggled to get anything going from the line. Indiana missed its first four free throws before settling for .500 in the first half.

The Hoosiers’ aggressive paint attack was particularly troublesome for the Wolverines, who picked up 20 fouls in the game.

“(Indiana) shot 24 free throws; we fouled them 20 times,” Borseth said. “That’s a lot. We’re just letting people get to the rim.”

Earning these trips to the line was exactly what the Hoosiers had in mind. After shooting eight in their last meeting with the Wolverines, Indiana reverted to its usual style and went to the hole. And 24 attempts were not even enough.

“Once we attack the basket, great things happen,” Indiana coach Felisha Legette-Jack said. “I don’t remember when the last time was we shot 24 free throws in a game. And I still think we can go for 30.”

Think pink: Assembly Hall saw a season-high crowd of 2,545 for WBCA’s “Think Pink” campaign for breast cancer awareness.

The crowd was mostly dressed in pink, and the marketing department threw out pink shirts after every Hoosier basket.

The Wolverines also donned pink warm-ups, shoelaces and headbands with their maize jerseys.

Though the pink did not change anything about the game or its preparation, the pink had a personal impact on both coaches.

“I have friends that have had (cancer) and gone through it,” Borseth said. “It’s obviously a terrible disease. Unless your family or yourself are inflicted with it, you don’t really understand the magnitude of it. It’s good that the WBCA and women’s sports support it because it needs attention.”

Indiana’s coach was similarly excited to see the pink attire.

“It’s fantastic,” Jack said. “To see these young girls here with their eyes wide open, you have the possibility to inspire them just for a moment.”