Like the restaurant business, in which it’s difficult to consistently prepare scrumptious meals for all three meals, in the literary world, it’s rare to see a writer achieve excellence in the literary trifecta of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.

Zell Visiting Writers Series: John Burnside

Thursday at 5:15 p.m.
Helmut Stern Auditorium
Free

This is why writers like John Burnside are like the master chefs of literature. The renowned Scottish author and poet will visit the Helmut Stern Auditorium tomorrow as part of the Department of English Program in Creative Writing’s Zell Visiting Writers Series, which brings established writers to the University of Michigan Museum of Art throughout the school year.

In the last 10 years alone, Burnside has proven himself a prolific contributor to literature. He has written 11 books of poetry (the most recent being “The Hunt in the Forest”), a collection of short stories titled “Burning Elvis,” seven novels including “The Devil’s Footprints” and “Glister” and a memoir. His extensive body of work has been recognized with several awards, including Saltire Book of the Year and Scottish Arts Council Non-Fiction Book of the Year for “A Lie About My Father,” the Geoffrey Faber Memorial Prize and the Whitbread Poetry Award.

Adding another feather to his cap, Burnside works as a Professor of English at the University of St. Andrews. As an accomplished writer and teacher, Burnside should present a reading that’s both informative and inspiring. Potential attendees should come prepared to be served a delicious helping of fiction, nonfiction and poetry.