On screen, he’s quick, witty and definitely an asshole. He’s Jeremy Piven, the actor most notable for his role as snarky talent agent Ari Gold in HBO’s “Entourage.” In his upcoming movie “The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard,” Piven plays yet another fast-talking showman, Don Ready. Given the focus of the movie, Piven is just the guy to deliver the goods.

“Don Ready is a hard selling, hard living character for sure,” said Piven. “I mean, we open on him having breakfast in a strip club. He’s a guy who’s been on the road his whole life … and he finally comes to the reality that man, it’s time for him to possibly settle down.”

Talk about trashy, “The Goods” centers around the eccentric Don Ready’s attempts to turn around a car dealership that may be headed for liquidation, possibly learning some sort of life lesson in the process. But is the movie a lesson in itself? With the economy in shambles, we may need someone like Don Ready to ignite the fire in an unheard-of, unorthodox way.

“I think that it’s kind of a sign of the times, a renegade group of slashers, you know, car salesmen that slash prices, and help move cars off the lot,” said Piven. “Something that’s kind of needed in this economy indeed, and that’s kind of where our story begins.”

Piven continued, “And we do, you know, need characters like Don Ready out there. But also he’s a guy who starts off as someone who has been on the road his entire life and hasn’t even thought about settling down and is finally getting to the point where he realizes he needs to evolve in some way.”

But before any social commentary or dramatic climax can be introduced, “The Goods” remains first and foremost a comedy. The cast includes a great lineup of funny guys such as Craig Robinson (“Zack and Miri Make a Porno”) and Ed Helms (“The Hangover”), but also throws actors like Ving Rhames (“Mission Impossible III”) into the comedic mix who are otherwise known for more serious roles.

“Well, I think the root of comedy — without sounding pretentious — is sincerity,” said Piven. “So when you get guys like that that are so good, they lend this authenticity to the scene, and it feels so real that it allows you to get really big or goofy or whatever because you root it in sincerity.”

He continued, “There’s a great quote about comedy: ‘The way to play comedy is you play it a little more serious than the serious stuff.’”

Piven was in fact very serious about breathing life into his character. He had to do a little research before shooting for the film began.

“There’s a great documentary called ‘Slashers’ about car salesmen where it’s kind of like the dramatic version of what this script is,” said Piven. “And you really get to see first-hand how guys get on the road and sell cars — watching that, talking to car salesmen, even like looking at footage and seeing how they actually sell their cars.”

“All that stuff — and also I’ve been on the other end,” he said. “I’ve been making a lot of bad decisions buying cars for a long time. So I know what it’s like to go through all that.”

Whatever side he may end up being on — buying or selling — Piven has an uncanny knack of making people laugh with the narcissistic charm he brings into so many of his movies. “The Goods” is a testament to the fact that sometimes the wrong man is perfect for the right situation.