Update: Jenson was sentenced to 36 months in prison in federal court Thursday. Read about the hearing here.

Stephen Jenson, a former medical resident at the University Hospital, is scheduled to be sentenced at 2 p.m. Thursday at the federal courthouse in Detroit after pleading guilty to possession of child pornography.

Jenson was found to be in possession of 97 images and four videos, some of which he had viewed using hospital computers. Both federal prosecutors and Jenson’s defense attorneys are suggesting that he receive a sentence below the federal guidelines.

Jenson was arrested by University Police in Dec. 2011 in his fourth year at the hospital for viewing child pornography in a residents’ lounge. A fellow resident found his flash drive with obscene images on it, and later reported the discovery to the attending physician.

An attorney in the University of Michigan Health System initially told the resident that “her concerns (about the flash drive) were ‘unfounded,’ ” and the neglected to report the incident to University Police. It wasn’t until six months later that the incident was re-reported by the attending physician and the Univesity of Michigan Police Department was notified. University President Mary Sue Coleman called delay a “serious failure on the part of the institution.”

Initial state charges were dropped after the U.S. Secret Service arrested Jenson on the federal charges he now faces in court.

Federal guidelines mentioned in Jenson’s plea agreement suggest that he serve 7 to 87 months in prison. Jenson and his attorneys are suggesting he serve the mandatory minimum sentence of 36 months, noting that his actions are inconsistent with federal guidelines that increase the sentence based on the nature of the crime and the need to protect the public from criminals.

Enhancements that can be applied in his case include two levels for possession of material involving children under the age of twelve, four for possessing material that portrays sadistic or masochistic conduct, two for the use of a computer and another for the number of images he owned.

Federal prosecutors are requesting that Jenson serve 48 months in prison, which is 22 months less than the federal guideline range.

A sentencing memorandum issued by Jenson’s defense attorney, Raymond A. Cassar, said the fact that he was completing his pediatric rotation at the time of his arrest led him to be “falsely portrayed as an individual who chose to become a medical doctor to gain access to minors.” The report points out that Jenson will likely never become a medical doctor.

Michael Lukela, clinical assistant professor of internal medicine at the University Medical School, told University Police that he would not support Jenson’s work in pediatrics after this incident.

The defense attorneys’ report notes that a psychotherapist who evaluated Jenson found that he is unlikely to commit a similar crime in the future. They claim he presents no predatory risk to children, and note that he is being treated for his behavior.

The prosecution, on the other hand, cites research that notes the collection of child pornography can indicate an individual’s desire to eventually molest children. Further, prosecutors claim Jenson should be held to a higher standard than other offenders because he would have had significant access to children if he become a pediatrician.

Managing News Editor Adam Rubenfire contributed reporting.

The Daily will be covering Jenson’s sentencing Thursday afternoon. Stay tuned for updates.