Michigan defensive back Marlin Jackson was arraigned Tuesday on charges of assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault, according to Washtenaw County Chief Assistant Prosecutor Joseph Burke. Jackson, who will be a junior in the fall, appeared in front of 15th District Court Magistrate Michael Gatti and pleaded innocent.

Along with a $2,000 fine, the Sharon, Pa. native faces up to four years in jail on the assault with a deadly weapon charge and one year of probation on the aggravated assault charge.

Jackson stands accused of striking a 26-year-old man over the head with a glass bottle after leaving a party in the early morning of June 1. The victim suffered three cuts around his left eye, including one that necessitated 17 stitches.

A preliminary hearing was set for August 13.

“The allegations against Marlin Jackson are serious,” Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr said in a statement last week. “The facts will speak to the truth of the charges and to the resolution that will be determined.”

Jackson has been selected as a leading candidate for the Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation’s top defensive back. At Big Ten meetings last week in Chicago, the media named the 20-year-old preseason Conference Defensive Player of the Year. In 2002, Jackson earned Associated Press second team All-America honors and set a Michigan record in pass breakups with 18.