JERUSALEM (AP) Israeli security forces flooded downtown Jerusalem yesterday, taking up prominent positions on sidewalks and rooftops a day after the latest bomb attack. Israel”s government weighed a response as it tried to determine the political affiliation of the female bomber.

A Palestinian man was shot and killed on the outskirts of Tel Aviv after driving his car through a roadblock, running down and injuring an Israeli soldier and a policeman.

The motive of the Palestinian motorist was not clear Palestinian police said the man was a car thief, and Israeli police said they did not find any weapons on the man. However, Gideon Ezra, the deputy minister of internal security, said that anyone who “runs over a soldier, and then a policeman is a terrorist.”

In Jerusalem, soldiers were stationed every few yards along Jaffa Street, the busy thoroughfare where the bomber killed herself and an elderly Israeli man Sunday. Marksmen were stationed on rooftops yesterday, and police from the anti-terrorism unit cruised up and down the street on motorcycles.

About a dozen people were hurt in Sunday”s bombing and more than 100 were treated for shock.

American Mark Sokolow, 43, who survived the World Trade Center attack on Sept. 11, was among those injured. His wife Rina and their daughters Jamie and Lauren were also hurt, though none of the injuries was life-threatening.

The family, from Woodmere, N.Y., was visiting a third daughter who is studying in Jerusalem.

“I heard a loud whoosh, like a bang, and I kind of saw things flying around a little bit, and then I realized I was able to get up and walk around,” Sokolow told Israel television from his hospital bed.

On Sept. 11, Sokolow was working on the 38th floor of the World Trade Center”s south tower when the first hijacked airliner slammed into the north tower. His office was evacuated and he escaped unharmed before the second plane hit the south tower.

Yesterday, Palestinian security forces evacuated several buildings in West Bank towns, fearing Israeli retaliation for Sunday”s bombing.

No group claimed responsibility for the bombing. Israel has often responded to such attacks by targeting Palestinian security buildings, saying the Palestinian leadership and the security forces are responsible for preventing such attacks.

Israeli Police Chief Shlomo Aharonishky said the massive deployment could deter or contain future attacks, but nothing could offer an absolute guarantee.