IOWA CITY (AP) Ohio State coach Jim O”Brien kept adjusting his offense, but in the end it was mostly guards Brian Brown and Brent Darby causing too much chaos for No. 14 Iowa.

Brown scored 20 points and hit all four of his 3-point attempts and Darby added 15 points as Ohio State defeated the Hawkeyes 69-68 last night.

“We keep tweaking our offense. Tonight, we got a lot of looks from our perimeter guys,” O”Brien said. “We went back to getting some fade screens for our guards and it was big that our guys made the shots.”

Iowa coach Steve Alford said Brown and Darby couldn”t be stopped.

“I thought that our guards were poor on defense all night. I think that is about as bad as we have been in the backcourt, defensively,” he said. “I thought that in the second half, Ohio State showed how badly they wanted to win this game.”

Sean Connolly scored 11 points and Ken Johnson added 10 points, nine rebounds and six blocked shots for Ohio State (6-5 Big Ten, 15-8 overall), which has won three of four.

“Ken Johnson brings everything to this team,” Brown said. “He”s our go-to guy. He”s definitely the key to our defense.”

Iowa (6-3, 17-5), playing its first game since learning that leading scorer Luke Recker might be out for the rest of the season with a knee injury, got a season-high 27 points from Dean Oliver and 14 points and 11 rebounds from Reggie Evans.

“We are not as tough without Luke Recker,” Alford said. “Our players have to handle situations better and I have to coach better. I thought I got out-coached during the last five minutes of the game and that is something that I need to look at.”

Iowa still had a chance to win in the final 21.6 seconds, but Ryan Hogan”s off-balance, one-handed leaner missed with 4.3 seconds to play to preserve OSU”s 68-65 lead.

Wisconsin 73, Purdue 54

MADISON (AP) Roy Boone outscored Purdue by himself in the first half and finished with 20 points in No. 16 Wisconsin”s rout of the Boilermakers last night.

Kirk Penney added 17 points and Andy Kowske scored 14, his best output since scoring 21 in the season opener, and grabbed 11 rebounds for the Badgers, who led 45-17 at halftime.

The Badgers (6-3, 15-5) broke it open with a 26-3 first-half blitz runs of 11-0 and 15-0 on either side of Joe Marshall”s 3-pointer.

Boone, who scored 18 in the first half, had eight points in the run, which he capped with a steal and a dunk that left him left him posterior in the lane and the Boilermakers (5-5, 13-8) desperate and dumbfounded.

The Boilermakers sorely missed 6-foot-10 junior center John Allison, their leading rebounder and shot-blocker who was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot Monday.

Wetzel and Garrity weren”t necessarily asked to produce like Allison, only to avoid costly mistakes. And they didn”t, committing an offensive foul here and a turnover there that helped the Badgers build their 28-point halftime lead.