The dejected faces that lined the Michigan sideline said it all. A Friday night that started with an excited sellout crowd packing Cliff Keen Arena ended before all the wrestling even finished, as the 18th-ranked Wolverine wrestling team (0-3 Big Ten, 6-4 overall) was blown out by No. 4 Iowa, 33-10.

Michigan — with the exceptions of 149-pound redshirt junior Eric Grajales, who earned a major decision over his opponent, and heavyweight fifth-year senior Ben Apland, who earned a medical forfeit over his opponent — struggled all night against a dominant, experienced Iowa team.

“We’ve got to learn something from this, that’s for sure,” said Michigan coach Joe McFarland. “We’ve got to get better.”

The Hawkeyes’ lineup was stacked from top to bottom with nationally ranked wrestlers that thwarted any efforts by the Wolverines whenever they threatened to score points. From the first match — when 125-pound Michigan redshirt junior Sean Boyle held his own against top-ranked Hawkeye Matt McDonough for the first two periods before McDonough closed with voracity to earn an 8-2 decision — Iowa countered nearly everything the Wolverines had.

“Everybody has their own areas that they need to get a little bit better at,” McFarland said. “We’ve got to keep plowing forward and keep our nose to the grindstone.”

Against Iowa, Michigan’s lineup featured five wrestlers who either had never started in Big Ten competition before this season or who are not a regular part of the lineup and started because of injuries, making the adjustment to facing a top team like the Hawkeyes very difficult. The inexperienced Wolverines provided brief glimpses of hope on a night where little seemed to exist for Michigan.

One example was 141-pound redshirt junior Mike Hillock, who went into his match against No. 9 Mark Ballweg having competed in only one dual meet this season for the Wolverines. Hillock provided a jolt through the packed arena with an early takedown to take the lead in the match. But as the trend of the night continued for Michigan, Hillock failed to capitalize on a near fall opportunity to pin Ballweg, who responded to a deficit at the end of the first period by taking a lead in the second period and never looking back on his way to an 18-10 major decision.

The lone Michigan wrestler to capitalize on the opportunities given to him on Friday was Grajales. Ranked No. 11 in his weight class, Grajales continued to serve as a steady hand for the Wolverines, garnering three takedowns and a near-fall while accumulating 2:17 of riding time on his way to a 12-3 major decision. The win improved Grajales to 3-0 in Big Ten dual meets this season.

As a team, Michigan can only continue to work hard until wrestlers get healthy and gain experience.

“We have these last two months of the season to figure out what we’re doing wrong, tweak it, get better,” Grajales said. “And hopefully finish out the season (well).”

The Wolverines will look for their first Big Ten dual-meet victory of the season next Sunday as they take on No. 21 Northwestern at Cliff Keen Arena.