Senior linebacker Lawrence Reid will no longer be playing on the football team due to health concerns, coach Lloyd Carr announced during Wednesday’s national signing day press conference. Reid was a candidate for the 2004 Butkus Award, which is given to the nation’s top linebacker, and won the 2003 Roger Zatkoff Award for being Michigan’s best linebacker.The injury will end Reid’s football career.“Reid played the last half of the season with a lot of discomfort, a nerve problem,” Carr said. “The doctors have advised him not to play, so Lawrence will not be competing any longer.”Reid’s discomfort was caused by the atypical bone structure of his spinal cord. After meeting with doctors several weeks ago, Reid felt it was in his best interest to stop playing football.“I had a doctor’s appointment a few weeks ago, and he suggested that I not play anymore,” Reid said. “I decided to leave the team, and I am just looking forward to getting my degree.”While the injury reached its pinnacle this fall, the condition has existed since Reid was born. “It was just something that was there and got worse as the years went by,” he said. “There is nothing that they can do for it.”Despite the injury, Reid’s 2004 season was a successful one. Reid finished the year tied for second on the team with 70 tackles. He also intercepted a pass against Notre Dame and scored the first touchdown of his collegiate career on a five-yard fumble recovery against San Diego State. Reid recorded five tackles, including one sack during the Rose Bowl game against Texas on Jan. 1.During the 2003 season, Reid received an All-Big Ten honorable mention after leading the Wolverines with 82 tackles. After recovering from a blood clot that ended his 2002 season after just five games, Reid made 25 consecutive starts at inside linebacker and emerged as one of Michigan’s key defensive players.Reid will remain at the University to finish his degree in sociology, which he plans to complete in December 2005.“I don’t have any specific (career) plan,” Reid said. “I am just finishing my degree, and I will go from there.”Because he will be on campus next fall, Reid has plans to stay involved with the football team but is unsure if he will continue his association with the game after this year.“I don’t have plans to (stay involved with football) right now — but that could change with time,” Reid said. “But I will definitely stay with the team until I graduate next fall.”