On Friday, it was the big inning once again that haunted the Michigan baseball team. But this time it didn’t have to happen.

With the Wolverines up 1-0 against Illinois and runners on second and third base, redshirt sophomore Bobby Brosnahan needed to make a good pitch to get out of the third inning. And he did.

The left hander got left fielder Casey McMurray to pop up in foul territory down the first base line. Redshirt junior first baseman Garrett Stephens properly called off Brosnahan and catcher Coley Crank and settled under the ball.

And dropped it.

McMurray then tripled to right center and the rout commenced. The Illini (4-3 Big Ten, 12-17 overall) scored three runs in the inning and continued to pound Brosnahan in the next frame. By time Brosnahan came out of the game, the fourth inning hadn’t ended and Illinois led 9-1. It went on to grab an easy 9-2 victory at Ray Fisher Stadium.

Illini pitcher Kevin Johnson was dominant, throwing a complete game and allowing just six hits while recording eight strikeouts.

Michigan (2-5, 9-23) got to him right away when sophomore center fielder Patrick Biondi lead off the first inning with a four pitch walk. He then stole second and scored on Crank’s two-out double to right center.

But that was all the offense the Wolverines had to offer until Biondi’s RBI single in the seventh inning. Fifth-year year senior Matt Gerbe’s 4.1 scoreless innings in relief were wasted as Michigan was unable to assemble any kind of rally.

The teams are scheduled to play at 3 p.m. tomorrow, but forecasts for rain threaten to move the game to Sunday as part of a doubleheader.