Posted on Oct. 13

ST. PAUL – The Michigan hockey team couldn’t cap off the weekend with another upset. The Wolverines fell to No. 5 Minnesota, 4-3, in the championship game of the Ice Breaker Invitational.

The Golden Gophers (2-0) controlled the puck for almost the entire first period.

Although the shot totals were knotted at nine apiece at the end of the first stanza, Minnesota’s were much more well-timed and planned out, resulting in a 2-0 Gopher lead at the first break.

Michigan (1-1) didn’t lie down, though. The second period was the most physical the Wolverines have played this season. Although Minnesota appeared to be a much more athletic team, Michigan took away the Gophers’ speed with big hits, both open-ice and into the boards.

Halfway through the second, freshman Matt Rust poked it into the net after a rebound, closing the gap to 2-1. Rust notched another goal in the third period.

The Wolverines kept clawing back, but every time they built up momentum, Minnesota snuck another goal past junior Billy Sauer. Down 4-2, Rust found himself in a breakaway after a touch pass from junior Tim Miller. Rust faked out goaltender Jeff Frazee to pull the Wolverines within one again.

But that’s as close as Michigan would get.

With just over two minutes in regulation and the scored 4-3, Rust took a holding penalty, putting the Wolverines down a man. With Sauer pulled, the Wolverines couldn’t find the back of the net.

Check the Michigan Daily on SportsWednesday for more comprehensive coverage of the weekend’s action.