DETROIT — After the Wolverines converted on 4-of-6 chances in last night’s game, Michigan’s powerplay looked like it was finally starting to click. But that success was a distant memory in the Great Lakes Invitational title game tonight, as the Wolverines failed to score on six powerplay chances. Boston University cashed in its last powerplay and scored shorthanded on its way to a 5-4 win at Joe Louis Arena.

“I think we just weren’t really moving the puck fast enough,” Michigan alternate captain John Shouneyia said of Michigan’s powerplay troubles against the Terriers. “They were kind of aggressive on us and we just weren’t passing tape-to-tape and finding each other.”

Despite its special-teams struggles, Michigan outshot Boston 41 to 31 and took the lead in the third period. But the Wolverines couldn’t take advantage of their offensive opportunities.

“Every goal was kind of a turning-point goal and every missed goal was a turning-point missed opportunity,” Michigan coach Red Berenson said. “But both teams had their chances, and obviously we didn’t capitalize on our chances.”

The Terriers opened the scoring 6:54 into the first period when they won a faceoff and Justin Maiser tipped the puck back to Bryan Miller. Miller took a few strides and wristed a shot that beat Michigan goaltender Al Montoya stick-side.

Just over one minute later, freshman Brandon Kaleniecki answered for Michigan. Kaleniecki, nicknamed “the Pitbull” for his tendency to fight for position in front of the net, took up his usual spot and poked a rebound past Boston goalie Sean Fields.

Both teams had opportunities early in the second period, but couldn’t convert. Michigan squandered a 5-on-3 advantage a little more than seven minutes into the period, and seniors Jed Ortmeyer and Mark Mink each broke in alone on Fields. Neither managed to get a shot off.

The Terriers almost scored near the halfway mark of the period, when winger Frantisek Skladany slid the puck behind Montoya. But Michigan defenseman Mike Roemensky reached in to keep the puck from crossing the goal line and put it safely underneath his goaltender.

Boston’s Ryan Priem broke the tie at 14:22 when he took a pass from Gregg Johnson and fired a shot into the right side of the net. The tally was the senior’s first in 64 career games.

But once again, Michigan refused to stay down for long. Jeff Tambellini notched his second goal of the tournament when he beat Fields five-hole at 17:00 and tied the score at two.

In the third period, Michigan wasted no time putting the puck in the net. Defenseman Eric Werner couldn’t reach the goal with his hard shot from the point, but when the puck hit a Boston player, it bounced right to David Moss’s stick. With a quick shot, Moss gave the Wolverines their first lead of the night at 1:24 of the period.

Moss said the Wolverines “thought we had the momentum after that goal,” but Boston quickly snatched it back with three straight goals. David VanderGulik started the Terriers’ third-period barrage when he banged in a rebound at 6:01. Then, with Mike Bussoli in the penalty box for holding, Mark Mullen took the puck near his own blueline and brought it into Michigan’s zone, where he put it past Montoya for the shorthanded marker. Maiser scored Boston’s fifth goal off of another Montoya rebound at 12:55.

“We had a couple breakdowns and they played off it,” Shouneyia said of Michigan’s third period. “They had a couple bounces go their way, and they scored on their chances, whereas we didn’t. So they could kind of just tighten up defensively, when we still had to go after them.”

Sophomore Jason Ryznar earned his first goal of the season with just over 1:30 to go in the game, but it wasn’t enough to spark a Michigan comeback.

Fields, who stopped 37 shots tonight, earned MVP and all-tournament team honors. Ortmeyer was the only Wolverine named to the all-tournament team.