For 35 years, the Lloyd Hall Scholars Program has been fortunate enough to have a large amount of classroom and recreational space in Alice Lloyd Residence Hall to work with. But it is now planning to share the abundant space.

University Housing announced last week that the Health Science Scholars Program – currently housed in Mary Markley Residence Hall – will be moving across the street to Alice Lloyd in September. HSSP Faculty Director Michelle O’Grady said Alice Lloyd would give the program quality instructional space, and a location on the Hill area of campus, near the Medical School.

“Markley is not equipped to provide classroom space,” O’Grady said. “We want to provide first-year seminars that we sponsor as well as curricular and co-curricular activities.”

In its second year, HSSP is one of 10 living-learning communities, intended for first- and second-year students interested in the health sciences. In addition to offering a wide array of science and medicine courses, students in the program also have the opportunity to interact with health care practitioners. O’Grady said the program – which currently houses 100 students – had only 60 last year, and has set a cap of 150 students for next fall. LSA sophomore and second-year HSSP member Kristen Leutheuser said the move not only allows for more space, but also the advantage of having co-ed floors, an option not feasible in Markley this past year due to an increase of students in the program and Markley’s layout.

“I think a lot of the problems that we had this year was because of the fact that we were segregated by gender,” Leutheuser said, adding that during the 2001-2002 academic year, all HSSP students were able to live together. With halls divided by sex this year, the students were not able to form as much of a tight-knit circle. “Lloyd is going to be a better place to live.”

O’Grady said both living-learning communities are excited about the possible program collaborations between health sciences and the humanities.

“We will have some programs in cooperation,” O’Grady said. “There’s the whole interface of ethics and societal issues and health.”

Marjorie Horton, LSA assistant dean for undergraduate education, said other residence halls were looked at as a possibility for HHSP’s new location, but would have required renovations not feasible given the budget.

LHSP students said they hope the newly formed relationship with HSSP will help increase the racial diversity in Alice Lloyd, a problem in recent years. According to a study done by LHSP members last year, only 8.3 percent of LHSP students were from minority groups, down from 32 percent during the 1994-1995 academic year.

But according to current plans made between LHSP associate Director Charlotte Whitney and HSSP Program Manager Wallace Geenser, the two programs will be housed separately. As of now, HHSP will take over four floors in one of Alice Lloyd’s four houses and one floor in another house. Whitney could not be reached for comment yesterday on LHSP’s logistics for housing next year.

“It’s two separate programs and they’re still different,” Hutchins said, adding she was sure students would have plenty of space around the residence hall to mix. “I’m sure that (the programs) would have something for both groups to get together.”

Although the LHSP is used to having the entire residence hall to itself – including special facilities like a writing center and dark room – O’Grady said Whitney and Geenser have collaborated to ensure each program has adequate office space with very few changes and that each program gets sufficient time and space for classrooms and seminars. But she did acknowledge there could be a few bumps during the transition.

“I think there will be change and sometimes change can be very stressful, but if we didn’t think it was possible to meet both programs’ needs, then we wouldn’t have chosen (Alice Lloyd),” O’Grady said.

Presently, approximately 46 percent of Alice Lloyd’s population consists of non-LHSP students. Even with the new influx of HSSP students, Horton said there would still be room in Alice Lloyd for a “critical mass” of students not enrolled in either program.

Students in both communities said they were not consulted about last week’s decision. Both Potter and Horton said student input was not necessary in the decision-making involved.

“This isn’t a decision that moves anywhere but at the administrative level,” Potter said.

“We felt it was a decision that could be made well by the administration. We weren’t considering a large amount of options at all,” Horton said.