Hubbard Street Dance Chicago will bring its eclectic style of contemporary dance to the Power Center this weekend. Based in ballet, HSDC”s dancers and repertoire is versed in modern and jazz. It joins the different styles from each choreographer who works with the company.

Hubbard Street dancers make their bodies into art.<br><br>Courtesy of UMS

HSDC will present two different programs, with works from six different choreographers. There are no resident choreographers within HSDC. Under the new direction of James Vincent, however, the company is aiming to have more works created specifically for them. The idea of a resident choreographer is currently being carried out through Jiri Kylian, Nacho Duato and Harrison McEldowney. HSDC has a tradition of establishing a working relationship with choreographers and taking them as deep as they can go. Executive Director Gail Kalver says, “Having a roster of artists serves as a pool of resident choreographers.”

This pool of artists gives the companies repertoire variety. One performance could be like watching three different companies in one evening. Two pieces on schedule for this weekend”s performances are “Rassemblement,” choreographed by Nacho Duato, and “Sechs Tanze (Six Dances),” by Jiri Kylian. These two pieces offer a contrast: “Rassemblement” is set to Haitian music, while “Sechs Tanze” is performed to Mozart. “Sechs Tanze,” in particular, accentuates HSDC”s skill in precision, timing and confident partnering.

David Erzalow”s “Read My Hips” presents an intense and athletic ensemble piece set to an electronic score. The variety in pieces offers something for everyone. Kalver said, “It is very accessible and very audience friendly.”