The screenwriters of “Hot Tub Time Machine” must have consumed copious amounts of drugs before writing this film. The movie is one big trip, beginning with a journey back in time with one preposterous scenario after another.

“Hot Tub Time Machine”

At Quality and Showcase
MGM

“Hot Tub Time Machine” introduces audiences to Adam (John Cusack, “2012”), Lou (Rob Corddry, TV’s “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart”) and Nick (Craig Robinson, TV’s “The Office”). We’ve heard their stories a thousand times — Adam is going through a break-up with his long-term girlfriend, Nick’s stuck in a go-nowhere job and has a possibly unfaithful wife and Lou is a profane drunk with nothing to show for himself. Each approaching a midlife crisis, the former best friends decide to revisit the favorite ski-town of their past.

Accompanied by Adam’s pudgy nephew, Jacob (Clark Duke, TV’s “Greek”) the friends decide to drink away their sorrows in a hot tub. During the drinking binge, an energy drink spilled on the tub’s wiring system sends them whirling back in time to the fluorescent ’80s.

To say that the dialogue of “Hot Tub Machine” is less than brilliant is an understatement. The film is riddled with profanity, sexual comments and homophobic remarks. The asinine humor the movie employs is a bit enjoyable at first — it definitely elicits some laughs. But after about an hour, the overt coarseness becomes a bit too much to handle. The film becomes annoyingly gross and it leaves one contemplating a walkout. This is especially true when it comes to Rob Corddry’s character. The audience initially revels in his irreverence, laughing at his excessive drinking, his constant criticism of geeky Jacob and his continual quest for sex. But the early laughs his character earns soon morph into utter disgust. His actions are just too repetitive and vulgar.

Who is the intended audience of “Hot Tub Time Machine”? The film is too vulgar for those who actually remember the ’80s. And while the adolescent crowd may find the senseless humor hilarious (at least initially), they miss the blatant manifestations of ’80s culture.

In one scene, Cusack’s character attends a Poison concert with his perm-sporting girlfriend who is decked out in neon and spandex. The irony of Cusack, an icon of ’80s teen comedies returning to this genre in his 40s, is also lost on young viewers. Extended cameos from ’80s stars Chevy Chase and Crispin Glover most likely also go unrecognized — these days they’re only known as the “old guy on ‘Community’ ” and “the creepy thin man in ‘Charlie’s Angels.’ ” Unless they’re pop culture historians, young viewers cannot fully appreciate “Hot Tub Time Machine.”

“Hot Tub Time Machine” is a drug trip gone wrong — after the initial excitement, it makes one want to just go back to reality.