Lester Abram, senior team captain of the Michigan men’s basketball team, was arrested on an outstanding warrant early yesterday morning after he was pulled over for speeding in Ingham County, police said.

Abram had an outstanding bench warrant from the Ann Arbor Police Department for failing to report in court on a previous charge, police said. An officer from the Ingham County Sheriff’s Department arrested Abram and transported him to Fowlerville, where the AAPD took him into custody.

An Athletic Department spokesman declined to comment, saying only that the department is looking into the matter.

Abram, a native of Pontiac, Mich., was allegedly speeding in a burgundy Dodge Intrepid heading east on Interstate 96 between Williamston and Webberville when police pulled him over at 12:58 a.m.

Police were unsure of to whom the car was registered and didn’t release how fast Abram was going.

The speed limit on I-96 where Abram was pulled over is 70 miles per hour.

Police said the officer ticketed Abram for speeding, not having insurance and driving with a suspended license.

Michigan law calls for at least a $200 fine for driving with a suspended license, on top of the cost of Abram’s speeding ticket.

Abram did not return calls to his cell phone last night. Calls to Abram’s parents’ house in Pontiac also went unreturned

Abram is a fifth-year senior on the men’s basketball team. This is his third straight year as team captain. He’s the first player in program history to have that distinction.

Abram was at the Wolverines’ practice Monday afternoon.

On the court, he’s having the worst season of his career, averaging just 9.3 points per game. He’s also shooting career-low percentages from the field (44.4 percent) and 3-point range (30 percent).

– Mark Giannotto contributed to this report.