bell hooks is a “right-on” woman. Honest, sassy and brilliant, hooks has been described as a visionary. She is a cultural investigator, feminist theorist and revolutionary. In her latest book, “Salvation: Black People and Love,” bell hooks challenges and provokes her readers to new ways to think about and look at love.

A public intellectual, hooks was educated at Stanford and the University of California at Santa Cruz. She wrote her doctoral dissertation on Toni Morrison. Dr. hooks has been a professor of English at Yale, Oberlin and most recently has held the title of Distinguished Professor of English at City College and Graduate Center of the City University of New York. At the present time, she is writing and lecturing across the United States and overseas. Her residence is in New York City”s Greenwich Village and she owns a 1920s style bungalow in Tampa, Florida, which she is renovating. Currently writing about “home place,” she considers herself a homebody.

“What”s love got to do with it?” could be the anthem for this book. hooks maintains that love, in fact, has everything to do with it. Love is the force that sustains and renews. As the mass media bombards us with unloving images of “Blackness,” or that Black folks are somehow not worthy or capable of love, hooks defies those arguments. Love, she says, is our deepest revolution. She provokes all of us to think daringly about love.

Also, she takes a critical look at how Black folks turn away from love. She speaks movingly about single parents, heterosexual and homosexual union, poverty and addiction. While our country continually poses a question about what can be done to save Black America, hooks supplies the simplest answer of all: Love is our hope and our salvation.

Her brilliance, clarity, vision and eloquent prose illuminate this book, lighting up the darkness of racism which permeates U.S. society today. The beloved community becomes the agent for change, the bonding force that will cut across race, class and gender lines. Finally, hooks quotes Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that “salvation is being on the right road, not having reached a destination.”

bell hooks speaks on Saturday at Borders at 2 p.m.