With just 24 seconds remaining in regulation against Wisconsin, the Michigan men’s soccer team was down one goal and about to start the Big Ten season 0-1.


But junior forward Mauro Fuzetti, receiving a pass from junior forward Peri Marosevic, was high tackled from behind by a Wisconsin defender while taking a potentially game-tying shot. Now, the Wolverines had a shot, with a penalty kick and a chance to tie the Badgers.

Senior Mike Holody was chosen to take the shot which exploded into the left side of the net, soaring past the diving Wisconsin goalie. The goal tied the game at one, and ultimately gave Michigan (0-0-1 Big Ten, 5-2-2 overall) key conference points.

“It looked like we ripped the heart out of them with that goal,” Michigan coach Steve Burns said.

Though Michigan fought hard against Wisconsin (0-1-1, 4-2-2) for 110 minutes, Burns was not satisfied leaving Madison tied.

“We’re looking for wins in the Big Ten,” Burns said. “So truly we are disappointed.”

The Badgers struck early, scoring on a corner kick 27 minutes into the game. The kick ricocheted off traffic in the box and spun to the left of the goal. The Michigan defense couldn’t clear the ball, and Wisconsin senior mid-fielder Kenny Dix converted.

In the second half, the Wolverines came out aggressively and loaded their offense to try to get on the scoreboard.

“We wanted to force [them] to play without a rhythm,” Burns said. “We had to chase the game at that point. Going into the first overtime, Wisconsin really looked like they wanted to tie.”

But the game was still tied at one after 10 minutes, requiring a second overtime for the exhausted teams.

“We continued to tell our guys that [the win] was there for the taking,” Burns said. “Their fitness was paying off and they should continue to press. We didn’t come to Wisconsin to get a tie. We came to get a win, and we continued to go after it.”

Michigan had a chance to score two minutes into the second overtime. Senior forward Jake Stacy received a pass from the left side of the field behind the Badger defense. Stacy took a powerful shot on goal, but the Wisconsin goalie was there to knock it away. The ball was knocked around until the Badger defense successfully cleared it, ending the Wolverines’ hopes for an overtime win.

“Both teams looking into the coaches’ eyes at the end of the game had looks of disappointment on their faces,” Burns said.

But if it weren’t for Holody’s late game-tying goal, the Wolverines would have been the only ones disappointed.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *