Michigan coach Brady Hoke wouldn’t ever say he’s scared of the dark, but he’s not a fan of nighttime.

Not for football games, at least.

“I do like twelve-o’clock games,” Hoke said.

“But I have no say, which is okay too.”

The Wolverines’ “Under the Lights” tilt with Notre Dame on Saturday night may be the first night game in Michigan Stadium history, but the concept is old hat for Hoke.

In 2008, Hoke’s final season at Ball State, the Cardinals’ schedule featured seven night games. That left just seven more games to be played during the daytime.

Michigan, it’s safe to say, has a different policy on night games.

Last weekend’s matchup with Western Michigan bled into the early evening, but Hoke said his team hasn’t really had a late-night practice in preparation for Saturday’s game.

During the Brady Hoke Radio Show on Wednesday, Hoke admitted that in hindsight he should have held a few evening practices. But he said it’s more about keeping the team on schedule.

“(I) never really have (practiced at night),” Hoke said. “It’s just how you structure the day, from how you eat breakfast, when pregame meal is, when is chapel and devotion, walkthroughs and all that stuff.

“We all have a nervousness to us — butterflies, whatever you want to call it. It’s a long day.”

Most of the Michigan team has experience playing on Saturday night. The Wolverines played Penn State under the lights in Happy Valley last season. In 2009, Michigan traveled for a night game against Iowa.

Denard Robinson remembers that one. The game was his first significant playing time at quarterback.

After former Michigan quarterback Tate Forcier struggled early by throwing an interception and completing just 9 of his 18 passes, then-Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez inserted Robinson, then a freshman.

Robinson led Michigan on a quick scoring drive to pull the Wolverines within two points. But a last-ditch pass turned into an interception, marring Robinson’s first college night game.

But it’s not always the outcome that players take with them. Fifth-year senior defensive tackle Ryan Van Bergen remembers the special night atmosphere.

“It just seems like the fans are just that much more into it when the lights are on,” Van Bergen said. “I don’t know why, but it does seem like it’s more electric.”

Robinson, who shone on Friday nights in Deerfield Beach, Fla. in high school, is going back under the lights.

“Oh man — football is football,” Robinson said. “It’s Saturday, and everybody wants to play. It’s a big game, and everybody should be ready to play. It’s the University of Michigan, and that’s what we came here for, is to play in the big games.”

Hoke emphasized that gameday is long enough as it is. Waiting for an 8 p.m. start on Saturday is borderline torturous for the team.

Michigan will stay in the hotel for most of the day doing walkthroughs, watching film, and taking walks to stay loose. But it’s no relaxing afternoon.

“Night games — they’re fun as far as atmosphere and stuff, but the thing that people don’t realize is how much it sucks when you’re waiting around in a hotel,” Van Bergen said. “Coach is trying to keep you occupied, but you’re waiting to play a football game, watching other football games in your hotel room. That’s a big wait when you’re getting up at nine o’clock, and you’re not leaving to go play until five.”

The current forecast for Saturday evening is 69 degrees at kickoff with a 40-percent chance of precipitation.

After last weekend’s fiasco, a little rain wouldn’t surprise anyone.