The father of University hockey player Steve Kampfer will not face criminal charges for physically confronting a Michigan State University player last month, officials said yesterday.
Steve Hiller, chief deputy assistant prosecutor for Washtenaw County, said there is not enough evidence for the case, and it is not likely a jury would convict Bruce Kampfer.
Hiller also said that the victim “expressed the desire that there be no prosecution.”
On Jan. 24, Bruce Kampfer allegedly assaulted MSU hockey player Corey Tropp in the visitor’s locker room after a home game.
Bruce Kampfer was issued a trespass order and escorted from the building. He has since been banned from most University of Michigan buildings.
Minutes before the game ended, Tropp and another player on the MSU hockey team attacked Kampfer’s son. As Steve Kampfer lay motionless on the ice after being hit from behind, Tropp slashed him in the head and the neck with his stick, a move that, at the time, MSU hockey head coach Rick Comley called “cheap” and “uncalled for.”
His son was hospitalized as a precaution because of previous head and neck injuries from an off-ice incident that occurred in October.
Shortly after the locker room incident, the Central Collegiate Hockey Association announced the implementation of increased security measures at Yost Ice Arena. Both of the MSU hockey players involved in the incident also decided to leave the team.