Board rules Brown U. grad students can elect a union

NEW YORK In a decision that likely will have significant repercussions for Columbia University, the National Labor Relations Board upheld precedent and ruled Friday that graduate students at Brown University were employees entitled to a union election on the university”s campus.

What makes Friday”s decision so pivotal for Columbia is its affirmation of an NLRB precedent set at New York University last year. The Columbia Graduate Student Employees United has been in hearings with the NLRB for more than seven months, and this decision makes it unlikely the NLRB regional director with jurisdiction over Columbia will rule against GSEU”s right to a union election.

With the NLRB ruling, Brown becomes the first Ivy League university and the second private university in the country to hold a union election.

In the NYU case, the NLRB ruled that teaching and research assistants at private universities had the right to hold a union representation election, which would determine whether a union would represent graduate student instructors and residential advisers in contract negotiations with the university.

Aggies remember those killed in “99 bonfire collapse

COLLEGE STATION, Texas Two years after the 1999 Aggie Bonfire collapse, Texas A&ampM University students joined together Sunday in a spontaneous ceremony in memory of the 12 Aggies killed Nov. 18, 1999.

More than 500 students, family members and friends of those killed and injured gathered near the 1999 Bonfire site in the Polo Fields around 2 a.m. to pay their respects.

Candles and a wreath were laid on the site where the three-tiered, 55-foot structure fell at 2:42 a.m., sending those on the ground running and pinning the 27 Aggies injured and 12 killed beneath a pile of logs that was not cleared until July 2000.

The last body was pulled from the Bonfire stack, which was near completion when it fell, after the University held an emotional, candlelit memorial service later the same night.

Students surrounded the center arrangement, holding candles, hugging and linking arms in silence.

At 2:42 a.m., Bonfire victim Timothy Kerlee Jr.”s mother, Janice, called out the names of those who were killed. Families and friends responded with “Here,” after each name in a ceremony similar to Aggie Muster. After the roll call, Janice Kerlee spoke and read from the Bible.

Students who gathered Sunday morning said Bonfire was an important part of the Aggie spirit one that could not be forgotten.

Sperm donor ad causes controversy at Stanford U.

STANFORD, Calif. “Stanford student wanted for sperm donor. $15k offered. Intelligent, good looking, over 6ft. tall. No history of self or family addictions.”

This is not the sort of advertisement that readers usually expect to find in the Palo Alto Daily News classified section. Yet just such an ad has appeared there for the past two weeks, placed by a Burlingame woman who hopes to find a sperm donor in order to have a child.

The 33-year-old woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, explained that she specifically wants a Stanford University student because she assumes that the donor will have a high level of intelligence. As for her other requirements, she said she will decide when she meets the donor.

“Intellect is a given if they go to Stanford,” she said. “And if I meet them and I like them, I”ll choose them.”

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Lizzie Ehrle.