Cruising around the suburbs during lunch break with the windows cracked, the air hazy and the newly installed system blasting anything with bump, you thought Man, I don”t go to high school, I go to school high. You laughed. It was a good time.

These fine people are ready to perform.<br><br>Courtesy of UMS

Not that you remember, but the bump could have definitely come from fellow stoners in arms, the Kottonmouth Kings. These suburban, crotch-grabbing, white-boy rappers are still doing the only thing they do well rapping about weed. Their latest joint, Hidden Stash II lights it up and passes it around for a couple hits of high school nostalgia and keg party noise.

Although Stash II”s got that same redundant, herbal odor, you got to give the Kings credit for sticking to their guns, or bongs or whatever. Stash II kindles all the energy of a small, tight-knit group of buds, jamming in their basement. Witness the tongue-in-cheek of a track about having close families, “We smoke our family trees.” It”s kind of like listening to Drew Barrymore talk about acting it”s scary how much fun they”re having.

This nonchalant, stoner pride gives an almost hip legitimacy to Hidden Stash II. These 15 tracks pack some hard-hitting, moshworthy beats and a few surprisingly lucid rhymes. But unlike a Cheech and Chong movie, there is not much, other than the weed gimmick. They even bring some punk rock and reggae into the bowl, proving that 311 is not the only band with diverse tastes, yet little variation in the actual songs.

The Kottonmouth Kings are not quite the dank, but Stash II has a fairly tight beats to rhymes ratio. The Kings got skills, but lack the real edge of Cypress Hill ca. 1993. Who knows, maybe one day the KK will educate us all on the suburban, stoner rap sound. Maybe with another drug … they”ll be the Coke-nose Kings or the Peyote-vomit Kings. Who knows?

Grade: C+