After steamrolling through qualifying in the Polo Ralph Lauren All-American classic, freshman Ryan Heller bowed out yesterday, losing 6-3, 6-0 to Miami’s No. 26 Luigi D’Agord. Heller won three consecutive matches in qualifying to place him in the 64-player main draw.

On a chilly Monday morning, he won his first match in straight sets (7-5, 6-2) over East Tennessee State’s Felix Insauralde. Heller then took on Georgia Tech’s David North, in a match that almost halted Heller’s run. Heller lost the first set 6-2 and was a game away from losing the match in the second set. However, he rallied, and won the second set 7-6(5) in a tiebreaker to even up the contest.

This was the turning point in the match, and Heller then cruised to a 6-1 third-set victory, a match away from entering the championship bracket. On Wednesday, Heller did just that, repeating his scores from the first round – this time beating Ole Miss’s Bram ten Berge, 7-5, 6-2.

After losing to D’Agord, Heller cruised to a solid win in the consolation bracket, beating Virginia’s No. 12 Somdev Devvarman, 6-3, 6-4.

Sophomore Matko Maravic joined Heller in Tulsa, when he earned an automatic invitation to the main draw. Maravic fell just short of upsetting No. 3 Ben Kohlloeffel, falling in three sets 7-6(12), 4-6, 6-1. Following in Heller’s footsteps, Maravic earned a win in the consolation bracket, coming up with a hard-fought 7-5, 7-6(6) victory over No. 32 Joseph Jung.