We’ve seen this formula a lot. Networks have been using familiar faces, like Christina Applegate (“Samantha Who?”) and Lucy Liu (“Cashmere Mafia”), to provide instant credibility to new shows. So Chris Klein (“American Pie”) should help CBS’s new comedy “Welcome to the Captain” achieve at least moderate success, right?

Wrong. Instead, he ends up mercilessly killing the show. Klein plays Marty, the best friend of the show’s protagonist, Josh (newcomer Fran Kranz). Worried that Josh is becoming too upset over the failure of his filmmaking career, Marty invites him to move into his apartment building, appropriately called El Capitan. The building contains a multitude of strange personalities – like the old guy who wants everyone to call him “Uncle” and the doorman who goes by Jesus (instead of “hay-sues”). “The Captain” is based on the their misguided attempts to lift Josh’s spirit.

What’s unfortunate, though, is that Klein’s character disrupts everything “The Captain” has going for it. Marty’s lines are so corny and overplayed that it makes the show almost impossible to watch. It’s necessary to keep the remote close by while watching “The Captain” – this way Klein can be effectively muted. Or better yet, just change the channel.

“Welcome To The Captian”

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

Monday at 8:30pm

CBS