The Michigan women’s track and field team displayed its talent and skill this past weekend, as the Wolverines competed in their final home meet of the season at the Len Paddock Invitational at Ferry Field.

“We were able to get some good competition,” Michigan coach James Henry said. “We came out unharmed, as far as injuries go.”

On the field, April Phillips put on another record-breaking performance as she continues to push the limits of her throwing ability. The senior made the best of her final home meet as a Wolverine by breaking her own school record in the hammer throw with a toss of 199′-3”. With that mark, Phillips is now the overall leader in the Big Ten and the Mideast Region. She wrapped up the first day of competition with another event victory, launching the shot-put a distance of 51′-8 12”.

Junior Melissa Bickett wrote her own name in the Michigan record books by setting a new Ferry Field record in the discus throw with a toss of 178′-1”.

On the second and final day of competition, sophomore Sierra Hauser-Price seemed unstoppable, as she sprinted to three event victories. Hauser-Price got things started with a win in the 100-meter dash, crossing the finish line at 11.66 and later helped the 4×100-meter relay team finish first with a time of 45.36. She ended the day with a victory in the 200-meter dash, clocking in at a personal-best time of 23.66.

“Sierra is going into the Big Ten’s on a high note,” Henry said. “She’s going to be someone to be reckoned with.”

Michigan used this non-scoring meet to prepare for this week’s Big Ten Championships in Minneapolis, where the team looks to defend its conference title. After winning the Big Ten Championships in cross country and indoor track and field, the Wolverines hope to capture the Big Ten “triple crown” for the 2003 season.