A triple-double is arguably the rarest of feats for a Michigan basketball player.

For 22 years, Gary Grant was the founder, president and lone member of the club.

Make room for Manny Harris.

During Saturday’s season-opening 97-50 win over Northern Michigan, amid questions about his health and conditioning level due to a lingering hamstring injury, Harris made history.

With 8:52 left in the game and Michigan dominating the game, the junior small forward passed the ball to freshman guard Matt Vogrich, who then drained his fourth 3-pointer of the night. It was a basic play and a nice shot, but the pass was the special part.

It was Harris’ 10th assist, which earned him just the second triple-double in program history — and made Harris the first Michigan player to do it in Crisler Arena.

Harris wasn’t even alive on March 14, 1987, the night Grant recorded Michigan’s first triple-double. Still, the junior knew what was at stake. When the Wolverines’ coaching staff told Harris just three assists stood between him and the milestone partway through the second half, he relaxed. He knew he had plenty of time to dish out a few crisp passes. Less than three minutes later, the achievement became history.

“The game has just slowed down so much (for Harris),” Michigan coach John Beilein said. “He trusts these shooters, and he relishes the assists as much as he does the points.”

Harris’ 18 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists certainly jump off the page, but perhaps the most important stat of the game was Michigan’s 57.4-percent field goal percentage.

“Actually, anybody can get 10 assists, because we shoot the ball so well,” Harris said.

Harris has a good point — four of the Wolverines’ five starters tallied at least two assists, and every player who played significant time scored at least a bucket or two.

Michigan dominated Northern Michigan in all areas of the court — the boards, the paint and the 3-point line — from the very start, and the Wolverines didn’t let up as the game went on.

They were clicking on fast breaks. They were trapping opponents on defense. And even the freshmen looked comfortable doing it.

Some very impressive individual achievements were overshadowed by Harris’ triple-double, too. Vogrich, in his college basketball debut, went 5-for-5 from beyond the arc. And while reporters continuously asked questions about Harris, Beilein made sure to point out another player in the postgame press conference.

“Look right next to (Harris’) name,” he said.

Next on the box score was senior forward DeShawn Sims, of course. Sims recorded a double-double, which included a game-high 22 points.

Sims, along with Harris, came out of halftime on fire. He quickly scored a layup, and Harris drilled an easy 3-pointer. After that, the two created fast break opportunities and dunks as if they were putting on a skills clinic.

And the scariest part for Michigan’s future opponents might not be the multitude of points from the potent duo. It could be their defense, which was highlighted by 16 combined defensive rebounds. Harris in particular impressed fans with his hustle while fighting for the ball, especially considering his health concerns coming into the game.

“I just want to be an all-around player and crash the boards,” Harris said. “That’s my mindset — just attack, and try to get rebounds.”

If Harris continues to concentrate on rebounding and tallying assists, he could grow into an even more dangerous, multi-faceted player this season. Throw in a quicker and stronger Sims, and, well, there’s a reason the pair has been garnering a great deal of attention.

“If Manny and (Sims) play like they did (Saturday), sharing the ball, getting rebounds, doing all the little things, it’s going to be a great year for us,” Vogrich said. “We’re going to be hard to beat.”