Not since Gene Brown graced the track almost 40 years ago has a Michigan sprinter experienced as much success as junior Adam Harris.

Harris added to his already-impressive career resume by sprinting his way into the Michigan record books Saturday night at the men’s track and field Indoor National Championships in Fayetteville, Ark. He became the first Wolverine to earn All-American status since Brown in 1971.

Harris narrowly missed tying his school record of 6.61 seconds in the 60-meter dash, which he set during the Big Ten Indoor Championships. Harris’s time of 6.62 seconds established him as one of the fastest runners in the nation.

Harris faced an impressive field that featured Richard Thompson and Trindon Holliday, a talented duo from Louisiana State that finished first and second, respectively.

Thompson broke the NCAA meet record with a scorching 6.51 seconds.

Two other Wolverines participated in the meet: sophomore Frank Shotwell and junior Lex Williams. Shotwell finished 16th in the heptathlon, recording his best finish (13th place) in the shot put, pole vault and 60-meter hurdles. Williams finished 16th in the 3,000-meter run (8:27.23). The 16th-place finish was disappointing for Williams, who came into the event with the second fastest time in the nation (7:55.59).

The NCAA Indoors was the end of the men’s indoor season. The Wolverines’ outdoor track and field competition begins March 27th at the Alabama Relay Decathlon.