Junior Adam Harris wasted no time taking advantage of the opportunities of the new season. He broke the Wolverines’ 60-meter dash school record at the men’s track and field team’s first meet of the season on Saturday. Michigan was one of five teams competing in the non-scoring EMU Open at the Bob Parks Track/Bowen Fieldhouse in Ypsilanti.

Harris first set the record last year with a time of 6.71, but at the EMU Open finished with a final time of 6.64 – breaking his own record. Harris surpassed the NCAA provisional time of 6.74 and was just one-hundredth of a second away from an NCAA automatic qualifying time. Harris carried the momentum to his next event as he won the long jump with a personal-best mark of 23’6″.

Sophomore Matt Wheeler also set a new personal record of 50.27 in the 400-meter dash, finishing fourth behind the event winner, Michigan junior Andre Barnes (49.83).

The Wolverines began and ended the meet with strong performances. They started by winning two of the first three events and finished by winning three of the last five events. Michigan took six first-place finishes on the day. But none of Michigan’s long-distance runners, including many coming off the cross-country season, competed at the open.

“This open was a good stepping stone right now,” Michigan coach Ron Warhurst said. “Early in the season it is difficult to get great performances. As the season progresses hopefully you get faster and faster.”

The next event for the team will be “The Dual” against Ohio State.

The Dual is a head to head competition between the two rivals that goes back to 1907. After the 1950s, the competition became less frequent. It hasn’t been held since 1993. Warhurst said his team is already excited for the matchup.

“It will be very exciting and very interesting,” Warhurst said. “Next week will be a great competition that is not about fantastic times but just about beating other people.”

The Dual will be held Saturday at the University’s Indoor Track Building in Ann Arbor.