The Michigan women’s cross country team opened its 2002 season on Saturday with a strong performance on the rough terrains at the Detroit Mercy Invitational in Northville.

Hot and humid weather made the 5,000 meter race all the more difficult.

But despite the tough conditions and the undulating course, the Wolverines were able to start the season off on the right foot with a first-place finish.

“It was a good first meet, and we won pretty easily,” said Michigan coach Mike McGuire, who is content with his team’s performance and feels that it has improved from last season.

Andrea Parker led the team with a third place finish in 18:17.

“I was really pleased,” Parker said. “It was a really great way to start the season.”

The sophomore ran more miles over the summer and trained harder, which has improved her performance from last season.

“I definitely feel confident. We’re all young, but I think that if we all work together, we’ll have a great season,” Parker said.

Wayne State, Eastern Michigan, Toledo, and the host Titans competing against the Wolverines.

Other top performers for the Wolverines were freshman Rebecca Walters (fifth place, 18:31), sophomore Ana Gjesdal (sixth place, 18:36), sophomore Chelsea Loomis (seventh place, 18:40), senior captain Jeanne Spink (11th place, 18:58), sophomore Sarah Pizzo (12th place, 18:59) and freshman Jeni Frudden (14th place, 19:04).

Because this was a relatively small race and the competition wasn’t as tough as it will be in the coming weeks, some of Michigan’s top runners didn’t run this past weekend and most likely won’t see any action at this week’s Mel Brodt Invitational in Bowling Green, either.

“We’re going to hold our top six or seven this weekend,” McGuire said. “(We will) run six or seven people who haven’t raced yet.”

By doing this, McGuire hopes to give his new runners some experience, and keep from overrunning his key athletes.

McGuire is counting on his younger athletes, Walters and Frudden – a two-time Iowa state high school champion – as well as a number of sophomores to help return the team to the NCAA Championships.

He noted that the time splits between some of the athletes has gotten very close and the results from intersquad competition can improve the overall team results.